Stuck clamp ring on 270

Blue caller 1

Recruit
Hello and thanks for reading!
So I'm working with a Volvo 250 B engine and a 270 outdrive in my 1985 Bayliner Trophy. The engine needs to be rebuilt and apon removal I discovered the bell housing would not release from the transom shield. All bolts are removed from the clamp ring but it will not budge! I removed the bell house bolts and removed the engine without it. I would like to try and save the bell house but will be replacing the transom shield and out drive with a SP.

The problem I have now is that the clamp ring is seized to the bell house and will not come free. I have used a torch, aerocroil, pry bars, and even a sledge and punches. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am at witts end and starting to think about how I can cut it out! Thanks--J

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Stuck clamp ring on 270

The late Don S was talking about the upper drive and components, while Blue caller is talking about the clamp ring inside the transom, that holds the bell housing in place.

As far as I remenber, the clamp ring has a set of extra holes, threaded, where the long bolts that were used for holding the ring, can be inserted. When turning the bolts all the way in, they start to press against the bell housing. Keep turning the bolts, and the clamp ring comes loose.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You say 250B The 250B was used in 92-93 4cyl.
Maybe a 260B?? 275 drive?
Should drop right off if all 6 bolts were removed???

Blue caller 1

Recruit

The late Don S was talking about the upper drive and components, while Blue caller is talking about the clamp ring inside the transom, that holds the bell housing in place.

As far as I remenber, the clamp ring has a set of extra holes, threaded, where the long bolts that were used for holding the ring, can be inserted. When turning the bolts all the way in, they start to press against the bell housing. Keep turning the bolts, and the clamp ring comes loose.

Roger That! I will give that a try and hope for the best. Thank you, Ill let you know how it goes!