Loss of power finally solved. Volvo penta 5.0gxi

robr229

Recruit
I have had my boat for nine years now and brought it new in 2005 the last 3 years I have been struggling with intermittent loss of power and slow up on plain was at the point of just having my boat as a floating hotel and never taking it anywhere . So after throwing part after part at this problem I spent about 3 weeks researching this reading many blogs and and posts on this site .. First lets me say what I have done cap rotor wires plugs and a costly wineing fuel pump (900.00) so I thought for sure this would solve the problem but like I said this was always a intermittenting problem the boat ran great two times out and then the third time same problem again no power and difficulty getting up on plain max RPM 3800 then I came across a posting on this site about the fuel pressure regulator TSB from Volvo to remove the screen and replace it with eclip
So I did this and noticed a slight increase in horsepower and engine seemed to respond slightly better to a snap of the throttle while in neutral, since I was now determined to finally solve this problem I took it a step further and remove fuel rail and injectors after looking at the and searching youtube videos on how to clean the injectors myself i changed my mind and set them to south shore injectors in Rockville center New York for 20.00 an injector they were professionally reconditioned and much cheaper than buying new ones well I picked them up today and after speaking with the guy 3 of my injectors were clogged up and we're not producing enough fuel to the engine so guys don't waste your money on cleaner you dump into your tank hoping for a miracle like I did . That is only for preventive maintenance , while working on the boat today I had picked up some electrical spray cleaner that dissolves corrosion on the connectors and the pins inside the connectors I never new there was such a product and followed up with electrical grease I did find many connectors that were in very bad shape
And did this to the connections that didn't need it. Boat now runs perfect max rpm now 5500 boat jumps right up and plains right out hope this helps oh btw pay special attention to to lower connector on the fuel cell if there is any corrosion on that connector the fuel pump will not supply enough fuel to the engine and boat will have loss of power

Indy1K

Seaman Apprentice
What kind of boat do you have? Was this on the twin AQ260/290SP
Thanks,
Kevin

Thalasso

Commander
What kind of boat do you have? Was this on the twin AQ260/290SP
Thanks,
Kevin

Two year old thread.
Start a new one with your question and more likely then not you will get a reply