Volvo Penta SX Outdrive Gimbal Bearing

firefight479

Recruit
I have a Volvo Penta SX outdrive in which I have removed for inspection. While making a hard turn I had a U-joint break. Based on the noise I thought that's what it was until I confirmed it taking off the outdrive. There were a couple tears that allowed water in (moderate rusting on the U-joints). Anyway, the broken U-joint appeared to have done some damage to the area that the gimbal bearing rides on. There is a chip out the metal (see attached picture). What I have not been able to determine based on parts diagrams is if this is like a race that can be replaced and pressed in or is it part of the gimbal housing? If it is an insert, does anyone know the name of the part or a good link to find one? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...photo.jpgphoto.jpg

firefight479

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta SX Outdrive Gimbal Bearing

By the way, the broken part I am showing in the picture is on the lower portion where the bellows attaches (a moderate chip out of the metal)

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull the bellows off and let us have a proper look, after all you are going to replace it anyway.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If the "chip" doesn't go past where the bellows goes??? It's no problem.

firefight479

Recruit

Much appreciated. I pulled it apart further to find it is a somewhat sizeable area that chipped off, but it does not appear to go past the bellows. My thoughts are that the gimbal bearing will seat much further in than that and the bellows should extend past the chip. So hopefully I will not have to get a whole other transom assembly, as they are up to a couple thousand $...
Thanks for the responses!