1994 volvo penta 250 seems to slip out of gear upon throttle up

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1994 volvo penta 250 seems to slip out of gear upon throttle up

IMG_20130901_172951_539.jpgIMG_20130901_172903_745.jpg
Did my best to remove shaft without removing engine. Broke down and decided to pull the motor. Just have to get parts and looks like I am back in business. Where exactly do I look on engine to find out for sure what year my engine is? I know it is a volvo penta 250 but Probably should know the exact year and model number I am sure to buy the parts I need.
Thanks,
Jak--

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Didn't get to read your post til after I had already pulled the engine. For some reason, I didn't think about the vice grip/slide hammer idea. That is a good one. I did find a couple more minor issues by pulling the motor though. For one thing, Every flywheel bolt was so loose, I could take them out by hand! A couple were backed out so that I could see 1/4" of thread. Wouldnt be long before the were all the way out and bouncing around in there. The bolt hex's were beat up pretty bad and shiny. I believe a couple of the ball bearing pieces must have gone that way. The only problem I see at this point Is that the bearing outer ring is still in place. I should be knocking that out toward the rear correct? Is the damage to the fly wheel housing in the u-joint area something I need to worry about fixing? It doesn't seem like it will cause any problems. Also, will the new bearing press on the shaft, or press into bell housing?" Also, one more thing. I removed three snap rings. I had to pull the two larger ones the third was just loose around the shaft. Not exactly sure what that third smaller snap ring was for.

captmello

Captain

Nice work. And good thing you pulled the motor, You might want to put some loctite on the bolts on the flywheel. That could also be part of the vibration issues you were having. Yes the bearing race should go out the back. As long as the flywheel housing snout still has plenty of metal where the ujoint bellows attaches, is should be ok.

So for reassembly, you'll want to install the bearing on the shaft first along with the small snap ring that fits right behind the bearing. Again you need to be creative and use something like a piece of PVC pipe to hammer the bearing onto the shaft without putting stress on the bearing, so it will need to fit close around the shaft, then when you install the shaft and bearing, you need another size pipe that puts the force on the outer race to, again, prevent damage to the bearings.

As for parts, you can use the parts list I link earlier for the bearings and seals. You'll need to fish out the inner seal from the flywheel cover. refer to the PDF file I linked about the seals to make sure they are facing the correct direction. You'll also need a new ujoint bellows. Here:Upper Gear Unit: Drive 275a - 7743460 - Volvo Penta
#66 is the bellows,
Here:Intermediate Housing: Drive Sp-A/Mt - 7743460 - Volvo Penta
#7,34 are the orings for installing the upper gear box back on.

The year of the motor and outdrive are not important. The model numbers are. However, the 250a was never mated to the 280 outdrive anyway, so you have a mixture of parts.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks mello, Can't wait to get the parts. Keep you posted. I guess you maybe dont care to be kept posted. LOL! It's all about me sometimes! We have a volvo penta dealer 20 mile away, I am going to call them Tuesday and see if I can possibly get the parts from them so i can get this done Tuesday evening, at least partially.

captmello

Captain

Don't be silly, We always want to be kept posted.:) Some never do, but heck we've come this far together!

I'd like to suggest that you replace your water intake fitting and/or the seal beneath it. It is way easier to do while the upper is off and it is a very common issue that causes overheating.

If the fitting itself is ok then you just pop it off and replace the seal. Here's one I replaced, fresh water boat,
waterintakefitting-1.jpg

If you need both get this one, it comes with the gasket and is cheaper than the OEM Volvo.
Volvo Penta 854031-2, GLM 23011 - Sierra 18-2777 - iboats
Otherwise you can get the volvo parts, they come seperate.
#27,#28
Intermediate Housing: Drive 280 : DRIVE 280 - 7744020 - Volvo Penta

Do whatever you want, I just like spending other peoples money, but if it were me, it's a no brainer.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Who ever invented that fitting must get a royalty for everyone sold. that is one of the week links of the VP drive.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

There is actually a slight crack in the part. I noticed it the other day and ordered it today with the rest of the parts. I didnt think to purchase the gasket.Wonder what else I have forgotten like that. I will definitely keep you posted.
Thanks again.

jaknkoke

Seaman Apprentice

Update. Took us 1 1/2 hours to remove engine from boat. 30 minutes to replace parts that needed to be replaced. 1 1/2 hours to reinstall engine and get everything hooked back up. Approximately $350 total in parts/oil etc.
Two ballpark quotes from local marine repair to do this work. $2200 and $2500.
Thank you so much for your help. Took it out today for a test run. Nice and smooth.
Thanks again.
Jaknkoke--

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

well done