Milky oil in brand new motor!

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
First of all, RIP Don S. you helped me through many sleepless nights, thank you for your help and wisdom. :(

I have a brand new long-block Volvo Penta 3.0GS with a new exhaust manifold (water pump, carb, starter, alternator are off of old blown motor).

I put the new motor in the boat, ran it for 10 hours following manufacturer's specs exactly (low RPM's varying speeds, etc.). I really babied this thing. She ran like a top the whole time between 150 and 175 degrees. I kept my eye on the temp sensor constantly as the old motor blew due to an overheat. Never went over 175.

After 10 hours, I changed the oil and oil filter (the oil I took out looked normal) and took her out on the river for about 5 hours. I opened her up for a couple minutes a few times but mostly kept at no wake speed. Never went over 175 degrees. I checked the oil the next day and it looked like a dirty vanilla shake!! It doesn't seem like much additional liquid is in the motor as the dipstick is still right at the "full" line like when I changed the oil.

I am at my wits end! I have NO idea what could have happened. My pocketbook and sanity can't take another blown motor!
Any ideas what it could be?
I have one (desperate) hope that maybe some water came in somehow when I washed the boat after changing the oil as a lot of water got in the bilge. Seems weird that the oil is that discolored though. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks for any help!2013-07-29_17-56-07_949.jpg

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Milky oil in brand new motor!

I really feel sorry for you, I have to ask if you re-used the cylinder head and if so was it inspected for cracks and flatness before assembly?
Not many places that water can leak into the motor, cylinder head gasket, riser to manifold gasket, but it has to pass the pistons and you say she ran well, which makes that unlikely. Best of luck, but get the contaminated oil out before it starts to rust things.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

New manifolds risers? New gaskets between the risers/manifolds?

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Dypcdiver: cylinder head came attached to the new motor. Bruce58: new exhaust manifold, new gasket. Thanks guys, keep the ideas coming!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Water in the bilge that could have possibly reached the crankshaft seal level?

Might need to do a pressure test on the coolant passages next.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Saw an intake crack one time. It let water into the oil. Only had it happen onece,never saw it happen to anyone else.Owner had us install a new long block,new exhaust/risers,but intake was the issue all along. Just something to check.
Grub

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Saw an intake crack one time. It let water into the oil. Only had it happen onece,never saw it happen to anyone else.Owner had us install a new long block,new exhaust/risers,but intake was the issue all along. Just something to check.
Grub
Do 3.0s have water going through their intake manifolds? I have never taken one apart so I don't know.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Ahhh... Sorry,I was thinking about a v-8when I wrote that,not shur on the 3.0 :embarassed:
Grub

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was reading too fast and missed the "Long Block", clutching at straws here, but is there a requirement to re torque cylinder head bolts after the motor has run for a while?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Would you happen to have an oil cooler on it? Some have it some don't.

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the replies, guys. No oil cooler on it. I have re-torqued the bolts as it is a requirement with the new motor (good call). The 3.0 has an combination exhaust/water manifold. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the replies, guys. No oil cooler on it. I have re-torqued the bolts as it is a requirement with the new motor (good call). The 3.0 has an combination exhaust/water manifold. One thing I saw yesterday while googling my problem was someone saying water can come in through the exhaust if you launch too fast, stop too fast after going WOT or if the back of the boat dips. I did try and go from idle to WOT one time with 3 big guys in the back of the boat and the bow came up pretty good for a few seconds before I backed off and realized I had too much weight in back. Could this cause water in the oil? Thanks again!

That is a possibilty however that water would sit on top of the pistons. It usually causes a hydrolock which is even worse than your issue.

It's not impossible that you have a bad block or head, even though it's new. You have a warranty, I would be contacting the seller.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I did try and go from idle to WOT one time with 3 big guys in the back of the boat and the bow came up pretty good for a few seconds before I backed off and realized I had too much weight in back. Could this cause water in the oil? Thanks again!
Not if the engine stayed running after you did that.

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for your continued help, guys. I drained the milky oil and refilled with new. I started it on muffs and ran it for a few minutes, ran fine, never got over 125 degrees. Then I took the spark plugs out one by one and did a compression test, cylinder #1 135, #2 135, #3 140, then I took out the plug for 4, put the tester in and water started shooting out of the cylinder. Checked the oil and it was still milky (maybe a little less so). So I took all the plugs out and poured a 1/2 cup of oil in each cylinder (I think that helps stall any rusting?). And here I am. What do you guys think? I can't thank everyone enough for all the help!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Manifold riser connection.

OEM manifolds or aftermarket?

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

got the manifold the same place as the motor, Michigan Motorz...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You know what brand? If they are GLM, I wouldn't be surprised.

robbyr1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you saying the brand new manifold might be bad?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wouldn't be the first time with GLM. They don't have the best quality in the world. Some folks on here have had to take them in to get machined so that the manifold/riser mating surfaces were flat.

insttech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you been on the phone with Michigan Motors yet? All of that should be under warranty if you just bought it from them. If you start tearing it up, won't that void warranty, unless they tell you to pull the manifold and look around?