riser gaskets with permatex ultra copper sealant

harmonicat

Cadet
2005 4.3 GL-D. Just installed new riser gaskets and also used permatex ultra copper sealant. Anyone know how long a person should wait until trying it out? Does the permatex need to completely cure first?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Last edited:

harmonicat

Cadet
Re: riser gaskets with permatex ultra copper sealant

yes, came in a squeeze tube with nozzle. Permatex ultra copper. It says on the pack 24 hours till full cure. I've put everything away for the night and will try it tomorrow aft.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

You used a silicone based product?
Don't think that will last.
Might want to start over with new gaskets and the right sealant.

harmonicat

Cadet

I used what was recommended by the Volvo service bulletin. Permatex ultra copper. good for up to 700 degrees F. I would imagine that all these type of sealers are silicone based.

Last edited:

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

NO
Volvo recommends copper spray-a-gasket. It is more like a glue. Silicone is very slippery.
The surface prep of the manifold and elbow is the important part --- looking to get the right amount of friction.
At Volvo school they told us its better to install the gasket dry than use silicone.
Please read the service bulletin Bruce posted and the instructions that come with the gaskets.

Last edited:

harmonicat

Cadet

Darn! Well, I appreciate you letting me know before I cause damage. In the store this was all I could find. I saw the "ultra copper" label and figured "brush on or squeeze tube should be about the same". It lists on the back "Superior adhesion. Temp range -75? F-700? F. Perfect for exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pan, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings. I guess I'm off to the dealer Monday morning for some more gaskets.81878.jpg Has anybody else used this rtv stuff between riser gaskets?

Last edited:

Paramedicrescue

Recruit

Darn! Well, I appreciate you letting me know before I cause damage. In the store this was all I could find. I saw the "ultra copper" label and figured "brush on or squeeze tube should be about the same". It lists on the back "Superior adhesion. Temp range -75? F-700? F. Perfect for exhaust manifolds/headers, valve covers, oil pan, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings. I guess I'm off to the dealer Monday morning for some more gaskets.View attachment 204063 Has anybody else used this rtv stuff between riser gaskets?

I used permeatex aviation sealant which seals in 10 minutes. i used it on riser gaskets and never had any problems. I also use it on automotive parts as well. On aviation parts that's all they use now. One bottle will last a lifetime

harmonicat

Cadet

dlAttach.jpgThanks. I saw that stuff and read good reviews about it but kept hunting until I found the stuff listed in the service bulletin. Finally found some and some new riser gaskets.