Volvo Penta 5.0FI Engine Protection Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpimer

Recruit
I have a 96 Sundowner 205 with the VPenta 5.0FI (302 Ford Motor). Over the last few weeks I've been experiencing an issue that is testing my patience.

From what I can tell, the boat is dropping into Engine Protection Mode and limiting the RPMs to 2500. Here is what I have noticed when it occurs:
Engine temp reads OK on dash
Fuel pressure reads OK on dash
Engine temp throughout motor reads OK. Read it with IR temp sensor

I've already changed out the fuel filter, completely drained tank to look for blockage and made sure the backflow is not clogged.

What is odd to me is that it seems to always happen on my way home. When I leave the dock, the boat runs great. We will get to where we are going and anchor up for a few hours and then head home. It has happened almost every time over the last few weeks on the way home.

This last weekend I noticed a little surging while the issue was occurring so I'm thinking it needs new plugs and wires but could that be causing the issue?

I'm stumped here.

From other posts I've read, users are saying to disconnect the following sensors to check to see if they are causing the alarm but I'm not sure where each sensor is and most are not listed in the Clymers service manual.
Oil Pressure Sensor
Engine Exhaust Temp Sensor
Engine Temp Sender

Any help you could provide here would be great. It's getting frustrating and I'm sick of taking 90 min to get home when it only takes me 30 min to get to where I'm going...

Thanks Much.
Jeremy

jpimer

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0FI Engine Protection Mode

No one has any ideas on the issue?

plmskier

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same exact problem with my 5.0 volvo 270hp FI. Mechanic changed the distributor cap and rotor, thought problem was fixed. Boat ran great for a few days and now it’s back in the shop. Now they are ordering spark plug wires stating 2 cylinders are not firing. Boat starts first try, idles fine. Service forward revs past 3k rpms, in gear forward locked at 2500 rpm’s cant plane and heavy gas smell building up. Dealer is stumped and not sure what it is and I’m trying to research before they just start throwing parts at it saying try this try that. They say a computer hook up won’t tell them the problem, only on newer engines. I have never used a scanner so I can’t tell if they are feeing me crap or not. They said the computers will say if there is a bad sensor but that’s about it. They said they hooked up a spark plug took to notice 2 wires were not firing. Very frustrating, that an 2005 engine, relatively new can’t give codes and say problem is this! I thought these engines were more sophisticated than this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

In addition to your temp and oil pressure senders for your gauges, there should be 2 switches(oil press and temp) that are used for the engine protection mode. One of them is probably having an issue. I believe you can just disconnect them and see if your problem goes away.

Last edited:

jpimer

Recruit

I just changed my plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor last week. Took the boat out and still had an issue within 10 min of being under throttle. I could get the boat up on a plane but at full throttle, I was still getting sputtering.

My thought went back to water in the fuel so last night I pulled out about a liter of fuel from the tank into a 2 liter soda bottle and I'm letting it sit until tonight to see if there is any water separation. As of this morning there was not.

I'm getting baffled here....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I'm getting baffled here....
Did you happen to read post #4? These look like you sender units and will be located very close to them likely.

jpimer

Recruit

I have tried all of the sending units. Non are the issue.

When I did the plugs, wires and cap I made a rookie mistake this week and did not redo the timing. I'm going to check that tonight or tomorrow to see how off it is.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I have tried all of the sending units. Non are the issue.
So you found 2 for the water temp and 2 for the oil pressure?

Sorry for the questions. Just have to be sure you realize there are 2 each.

If you only replaced the cap, plugs and wires and didn't move the distributor, your timing shouldn't move.

plmskier

Seaman Apprentice

I heard back from my dealer and after they changed the spark plug wires, cap and rotor cylinder 3 is not firing at the end of the pug wire. Spark plugs themselves are fine per dealer. I guess they have a machine they hook up the end of the spark plug wires to and see if there is any spark. They called Volvo and they are not sure what the problem is either. They do not think it’s the ecm or sensors. Any ideas?

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had a couple "limp mode" (or similar) problems on my 5.8FI. One was caused by the rubber water pipe seal that connects the lower unit to the upper unit in the drive. It had been installed improperly when I had some work done on my drive. Cause of the other "limp mode" problem was a flapper valve that had become dislodged from its proper spot in one of the Y-tubes and had fallen down into the common exhaust port at the bottom of the Y-tube and caused exhaust restriction and wouldnt rev past 2500RPM. Wasnt a 'limp mode" problem at all but mimic'd it and led me down wrong path for a while.

For your case Im thinking something is putting it in limp mode, water temp or oil pressure, as those are the two sensors that input into the limp mode. While in limp mode, spark might be limited to certain engine cylinders in order to effect the limp mode restrictions. A wiring diagram of that system could give you some insight on what drives the limp mode.

Remember, 2 senders each drive the oil pressure and water temp (thats one for the oil pressure gauge on the dash and one for the input for the computer and, again, another two for the water temp dash gauge and computer input).

Last edited:

jpimer

Recruit

As always it was something that does not pop out at you. When I had my mechanic friend helping me do the timing, it appeared the timing was almost dead on.

On the Ford motor that is in the boat, there is a spout connector. You have to remove it to set base timing and then when it gets plugged back in, the computer can adjust timing as it sees fit. When we put the connector back in, my friend noticed it was a little loose and as he would wiggle it with his thumb, the idle was changing. His theory was that this clip was getting knocked and throwing the engine off (causing the sputtering).

All the spout connector does is complete a circuit.

I didn't give the theory much faith but ordered a replacement spout connector anyway. Installed it last week and ran the boat on Sunday and it never sputtered in 3 hours of running.

$7.00 piece that caused me 2 months of headaches. I don't think I would have found the issue myself. Pays to have friends who are car mechanics to help give you another perspective on things.

Jammer864

Petty Officer 2nd Class

SWEET. I know of the SPOUT connector you are talking about. This is one more thing to pack away in the info bank on poorly running 5.0 and 5.8 EFI fords. Thanks for posting the fix!

Boater_Brad

Cadet
Where is this SPOUT Connector you speak of? I believe I have the same issue you were experiencing.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
Where is this SPOUT Connector you speak of? I believe I have the same issue you were experiencing.

Really should start your own thread.
The SPOUT connector is on the DLC —— the scan tool connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.