Volvo Penta 2.3 on 1986 Bayliner Capri, need help!

robcomings1

Recruit
Purchased boat "as is" and it is not running properly. It will start, if you try to accelerate, it spits and spatters and barely runs. We removed the air filter and it runs better. There is a lot of blow-back out of the carb. The spark plugs appear to be newish. We removed them and heated them and have an ok spark. We have adjusted the ignition timing spark to the best running point. There is a spare carb in the boat. We removed the top of the carb and it is not full of crud. The float and needle valve appear to be working fine. We have checked the cylinder compression all four are about 175 psi. After the above tests we are wondering if the cam could be a little out of time and causing this problem (blow back etc). The belt feels a little loose, could it possibly have jumped time? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 2.3 on 1986 Bayliner Capri, need help!

We have adjusted the ignition timing spark to the best running point.

Worst thing you could do.
Set the timing with a light and to specs after setting the dwell. Re-adjust the idle mixture and speed and I will bet it runs better.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta 2.3 on 1986 Bayliner Capri, need help!

I totally agree with Don. I'll add that this carb is pretty well known for having a dead spot when you punch the gas unless you have everything set right. Timing to specs, idle, mix, and then accel pump adjustment. There are 3 adjustments on the carb.

To answer the question, sure. Yeah it could have jumped a tooth or too and it's pretty common at that. Only way to know is to align the pulleys and check versus the timing marks. If it's off, just reset per the manual, no harm done.