Repowering a direct drive ski boat with a 5.7 GXi-f

Superchief

Cadet
I purchased a saltwater project ski boat this winter. (2002 Mastercraft Prostar 209) I searched out to the end of the internet and called every dealer I could within a days drive to see if I could find an indmar replacement for my boat. My biggest obstacle is the 330hp Indmar LTR is no longer available.The intake manifold which was destroyed by corrosion is also NLA. Looked like my best solution was to buy a complete engine with fuel injection. Unless I find a complete salvage boat there is no solution that that would be just a plug and play operation.

Along comes a 2004 Volvo 5.7 GXi that was out of a wrecked boat, never been underwater, had low hours and looked to be pretty clean. considering a new repower was looking like a 10,000 dollar bill this route looked to be the best way to go.

So now I am trying to sort this out.
IMG_6322_zps09ec8c7b.jpg

I need to delete the power steering pump, Figure out how to fuel it, and re wire the volvo 10 pin harness to my Indmar 9 pin.

Are there any 5.7 GXi engines that don't have Power steering? My boat only needs the freshwater pump, the engine pump and the alternator. It would be nice if I could find a factory alternator bracket and routing of the serpentine belt.

I thought about hacking the old bracket off and cutting away the PS pump section. I still have to deal with routing the belt and reconfiguring the tensioner.

Second... any advice on the fuel system?
A. Remove Volvo fuel pumps and filter assy.,and plug in the fuel lines and wiring to utilize the Indmar/mastercraft fuel pickup sending unit pump combo in the tank.
B. Use the Volvo pump and filter system and try and fabricate some sort of pick-up fuel sending unit for the the tank.

Finally, I hate to cut OEM harness's unless it's the last resort. I would like to find a 10 pin male round plug for the Volvo and make a pigtail with a 9 pin round harness to plug into the existing harness in the boat. I spoke with a tech from ebasicpower but he says there is no such thing as a nine pin harness. I double checked and recounted both and found the tech is misinformed. Indmars harness is a 9 pin. So I am having no luck finding a round female 9 pin and a male round 10 pin, so I can wire them together and make my own adapter.

Sorry for the long first post, I have looked long and hard on the web for nonconventional repower builds but seem to be stuck in the mud right now. I also really appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Repowering a direct drive ski boat with a 5.7 GXi-f

No need to eliminate the power steering, you can just get a coupler nut and hook the two hoses together, then you still have the same pulley setup and belt.

Post a picture of your indmar 9 pin harness connector, I would bet it's the same thing, just only has 9 pins, the Volvo harness has 10 holes but possibly not all being used, or you won't need more than 9. Those harnesses are really common.

Second... any advice on the fuel system?
A. Remove Volvo fuel pumps and filter assy.,and plug in the fuel lines and wiring to utilize the Indmar/mastercraft fuel pickup sending unit pump combo in the tank.
B. Use the Volvo pump and filter system and try and fabricate some sort of pick-up fuel sending unit for the the tank.

Remove the Indmar system, do NOT try to use it on the Volvo, just stick with the pump setup on the engine now, it's all self contained and designed to work together with the proper pressures.

EDIT: Did find this on the inboard engine with out power steering http://www.volvopentastore.com/Serp...on_id.115974511--store_id.366--view_id.779601

Last edited:

Superchief

Cadet

Post a picture of your indmar 9 pin harness connector, I would bet it's the same thing, just only has 9 pins, the Volvo harness has 10 holes but possibly not all being used, or you won't need more than 9. Those harnesses are really common.

Remove the Indmar system, do NOT try to use it on the Volvo, just stick with the pump setup on the engine now, it's all self contained and designed to work together with the proper pressures.

EDIT: Did find this on the inboard engine with out power steering Serpentine Belt And Alternator 5.7GiI-E, 5.7GXiI-F - 7744410 - Volvo Penta

Can't get a pic of he harness yet but I'm sure it will plug in but no still figure I'm going to have change some wires around.

Ill have to look at that bracket. Maybe I can use what I have and just cut out the ps pump part.

Wonder if it would hurt to leave the in tank pump in to retain the fuel pickup and fuel gauge functionality.

jsturvey

Seaman

I know it' been a month since this was posted, but I'll ask this anyway. Is the original accessory drive from the indmar setup still good and is it a serpentine system? Both engines are GM blocks. Something to consider that way you can remove all the power steering gear completely. Having it there robs horsepower from the motor, so if you can find a way to get it off, get it off.