Volvo DP-A Reverse Lock - Manual Lock/ Release?

Dazz66

Cadet
Sorry this is probably a really dumb newbie question:
I have twin AQ205A with DP-A?s. I know there is a potential issue with the trim cylinders on one leg; the previous owner was ?honest? about that.
The boat was out of the water about 6 months ago, and at that time the PO decided to lock both legs in the down position. The boat came with a 2nd hand leg for ?parts? and he demonstrated on this. It LOOKED straight forward. ???
The boat is still another 6 months away from coming out again, but I?d like to know that I can lift the legs if needed. I?d also like to find out if the trim system works, and/or the reverse lock, so I know what parts I will need when the time comes.

Is there really a ?manual lock?? If so, is it easy to release? The legs are under a fixed marlin board, so access will not be easy, however if flicking this manual lock is as easy as he made it appear, it should be manageable?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo DP-A Reverse Lock - Manual Lock/ Release?

The lock is not really a manual lock, it's a reverse lock to keep the drive from coming up out of the water when you put it in reverse.
Putting the shifter into forward gear will release the lockdown mechanism.

Dazz66

Cadet
Re: Volvo DP-A Reverse Lock - Manual Lock/ Release?

The lock is not really a manual lock, it's a reverse lock to keep the drive from coming up out of the water when you put it in reverse.
Putting the shifter into forward gear will release the lockdown mechanism.
Thanks Don, that's how I understood it, and how the PO explained it, except he told me he had manually locked it so that they are locked even in forward. He "demonstrated" on the spare leg, and it seemed he just flicked something up and down. Maybe he was spinning a yarn to cover up for a defect? Can it be manually released if it doesn’t unlock in forward?