Replacement Impeller Volvo Penta 3.0GL D-MMDA

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for a replacement impeller for my 1994 Glastron SSV 175. It has a Volvo Penta 3.0GL D-MMDA engine. The part number on the impeller says Volvo Penta 3862465 and when I look for a genuine Volvo Penta part it says discontinued. I wouldn't mind ordering a cheaper after market part but I want to make sure I get the right one. First time I've tried to replace this on my own. Your expertise is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replacement Impeller Volvo Penta 3.0GL D-MMDA

Thanks for your help,
Unfortunately I dont think that's the one, the impeller I pulled had a sprocket like connection in the middle. This one is a circular connection with a notch in it. I actually purchased 2 similar impellers #3854286 like this:
Maintenance Parts 3.0GLMMDA, 3.0GSPMDA - 7748010 - Volvo Penta

Thinking that matched up with my engine type to find out that they had the wrong connection type like this.
18-3060_big.jpg

Now I'm thinking maybe the previous boat owner swapped out my raw pump and this is why I'm having trouble finding a part. I may have to make the 1.5 hour drive to my nearest dealer, what a pain. I'll post a photo of the pulled impeller later.

Thanks for your help, any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Jesse

crdpoker

Cadet

Jesse - what I've found so far is that you're correct, water pumps can be different depending on previous owners, manufacturing date, etc. There's no correct impeller for a specific engine, only a correct impeller for a specific water pump. You should be able to either get the pump part number by pulling the pump itself, or get the impeller part number off the impeller itself. On yours it should be stamped into the metal on the inside lip, and say something like "Volvo Penta 825940" or similar. Unmounting the pump only takes about 15 minutes, so you can always take that with you to the dealer to make sure (good insurance, as the local dealer here gave me a kit with the right impeller, but the wrong gaskets. When I showed them the pump, the senior parts guy corrected the first guy's mistake and gave me the right kit). Hope this helps,

Chris

JesseRuiz

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you everyone! vwbugman69, that looks like the right part. The sierra version is 18-3276
Water Pump Impeller Kit for Volvo Penta - Sierra 18-3276-1 - iboats

I did speak with a boat mechanic and they told me it was a pretty common impeller. I may need to find one with a matching gasket. Here is a pic of my shredded impeller.
View attachment 192093

Thanks again,
Jesse