1989 290 outdrive & AQ131D motor (Water not being pulled into motor)

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice
quick question. im used to mercruiser, so Im just making sure that the water impellor on my VP is on the front of the motor and not in the lower unit? My motor is not pulling up the water from the rabbit ears. I saw notes in the old user manual from the previous owner; something about water pick up hose and seal. is this something that requires pulling apart the gimble housing? when i add water frm the strainer it keeps things cool as the motor is running.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 290 outdrive & AQ131D motor (Water not being pulled into motor)

Yes, they should pull water up from the outdrive. Put the proper Volvo muffs on it, and plug the secondary pickup hole in the bottom of the drive. I always use the tapered end of a sillicone tube for the job.

Volvo Secondary water pickup.png

Any air leak can cause the pump not to pull water from the drive, one of the more common places is the water hose connection on the drive. The end corrodes off the fitting, but it looks fine from the outside. So check that connection for sure.
Have you looked at the impeller? Without water, if you have been running it, it's probably junk by now.

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_0039[1].jpgIMG_0038[1].jpgOK, it took me a couple of days because of work but Ive found some things out. !st, I dont see anywhere in the attached picture of the drive where there is an impellar with shaft in the lower unit. Also, I read the entire section on cooling in the shop manual and it did not mention a lower unit impellar, or pick up pump or anything in the drive that was mechanical that pulled water into the motor. the second picture has a blow-up of the schematic of the part that was needed, but never replaced. I spoke to the lady i bought it from and she told me that the bellows was replaced but not the raw water line and seal. My question is, how many hours job is this and do i have to rip the outdrive apart to do it

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

2 questions
1) I cant order the impeller by itself? Do I have to buy the $426 part?
2) If the raw water pick up line and seal are bad too (Circled in my pic), is that a big job?

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you I will check Part #24.

captmello

Captain

here is the pump broken down. #5 is the impeller

Sea Water Pump: 855578 - 7744650 - Volvo Penta

see my post #5. Checking for corrosion is nothing but loosening the hose clamp and pulling the hose off. Replacing the fitting and gasket is easy as well but should be done while the upper gear box is removed for clear access.

captmello

Captain

Ha, we're talking about the same part.

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

thank you both

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah you guys are talking about the same part. For some reason the vpstore has a slightly different picture than the manual.

You can get an impeller by itself. Not sure why the impeller kit listed there is 50 something bucks...Nevermind the aftermarket is nearly as much so go with the Volvo part and don't mess with aftermarket.

The water connection is pretty easy to do. I just did it a week ago when I was replacing the bellows, so I had the upper gear box off of the outdrive, I don't know if you can get to it or not without pulling the upper. Pulling the upper was pretty easy and you could be done in an hour or so. But you'll need 2 new o-rings for re-installing the upper.

#50 and #51, its like $5:
Intermediate Housing: Drive 290a - 7744650 - Volvo Penta