Need how to on prop seal replacement for Volvo duoprop DP-S1

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaBarrs

Recruit
I have a slow leak coming from the rear seal of my Volvo DP-S1 Duoprop. I managed to get the rear prop off after several hours of fighting it with a gear puller. Now I just need some guidance on prop shaft seal replacement.
Any help would be appreciated especially if it includes pictures....I'm going squirrely not having my boat (Wellcraft 260SE).

FloridaBarrs

Recruit
Re: Need how to on prop seal replacement for Volvo duoprop DP-S1

I didn't have a response so i just winged.

The first seal I just pried out but would not do it that way again and it wouldn't work on the second seal anyhow so I drilled a 3/16 hole into the seal using a 12" drill extension shaft so as not to touch the prop-shaft. I drilled through about 1/8 of an inch and then added screw and pried up on the screw and it popped right out with a little pull.
If I had to do it again I would just use this drilling method from the start. Just make sure you keep something between the fastest end of the drill shaft and the prop-shaft to protect it from scuffs.

Another thing I would do differently is to get a 1.5 ft section of PVC sized to match the diameter of the prop seal itself to help with installing the new ones. The first one is inset into the housing so ensure the PVC pipe is slightly smaller than the seal itself.

I'm trying something different for prop lube....Petroleum Jelly...we will see how that goes:).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I didn't have a response so i just winged.

My reply wasn't a response ????????

I can just imagine when shavings from the drill bit, gets into the bearing. An what about when your drill bit digs into the side of the shaft where the seal fits, then you have damage a very expensive part.

Wouldn't it have been easier to remove two allen bolts and pull the carrier and out shaft out and do it right?

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Check UTube to see if any examples of seal replacements are there. There are other brand of outboard seal pulling instructions on there.

You can drill a small hole in the metal on the seal and screw a very small dent puller/slide hammer in it. Or, you can use a hook style dent puller with a handle. You can hammer the new seal in with a socket the same size as your seal.

If you replace that one seal, you'd also need to go to the other seals on the lower unit. When done and before the lower unit grease is installed, you'd want to have the lower unit pressure and vacuum tested to make sure no water can get into the bottom end.

Johnfrmcal

Recruit
I know this is a very old thread but I’m wondering the best way to determine part numbers for the required seal kit. I have a 2003 Crownline with a VP Duoprop drive. The transom shield says type SX-MHP but I’m not sure that narrows down the drive model. Searching on the web has led me to believe that I need seal kit p/n 3856002 but I’m trying to confirm. Any help is appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this is a very old thread but I’m wondering the best way to determine part numbers for the required seal kit. I have a 2003 Crownline with a VP Duoprop drive. The transom shield says type SX-MHP but I’m not sure that narrows down the drive model. Searching on the web has led me to believe that I need seal kit p/n 3856002 but I’m trying to confirm. Any help is appreciated.

Start a new thread so active members can give you a hand.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.