5.0 GXi thermostat...

KPotter

Cadet
I have a 2002 Larson 210SEI with a 5.0 GXi-B(F), and decided to do a little maintenance on it today. Bought the boat last year and replaced the impeller during the summer. Today I replaced the serpentine belt, installed petcocks at the rear of the exhaust manifolds, and planned on replacing the t'stat. I orded the parts from the volvo penta store, and somehow orded the incorrect t'stat. The one I recieved has an o ring around the outside and appears to be the type that fits into the groove machined into the intake manifold. The one in the boat sits up inside the t'stat housing, and after reading a few posts about this, it seems the t'stat is only held in p-lace by the o ring. My problem is the the correct part number for the t'stat I need. Everytime I try to look up the part, I get the same one. Sorry for the long winded post, but does anyone have the part numver I need?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 5.0 GXi thermostat...

Would have helped if you posted the part number of the kit you ordered.
Does the number in this parts chart look like what you ordered?

View attachment Parts chart.pdf

KPotter

Cadet

Yes, the part number is 3831426, and it has a rubber sealing ring around the outside and appears to be designed to fit into the machined groove in the intake manifold so it would be under the t'stat housing. The one that is in the boat, I am going to attempt to send a photo, is installed up inside the housing. I am reluctatnt to remove the old one until I have a new one in my hand. T'stat 004 (800x600).jpg Thanks....

Don S

Your picture worked fine. The way it is in the picture is correct, the thermostat does not go in the manifold.

Are you sure you have an F on your model number? That would indicate you have closed cooling, and from the looks of your thermostat and housing, you don't have closed cooling.

Here is the closed cooling system.

Closed cooling system.jpg

Here is how to change the thermostat.

Tstat change.jpg

KPotter

Cadet

Hey Don...no I am not sure I have an F. The owners manual I recieved when I bought the boat has a list of the different models it covers, and the 5.0GXi-B(F) was highlited in yellew, so I assumed this was the correct model. You know what happens when one assumes!! I do not have a closed cooling system. It uses lake water to cool the engine. So do you think I have the correct t'stat?

Don S

Hey Don...no I am not sure I have an F. The owners manual I recieved when I bought the boat has a list of the different models it covers, and the 5.0GXi-B(F) was highlited in yellew, so I assumed this was the correct model. You know what happens when one assumes!! I do not have a closed cooling system. It uses lake water to cool the engine. So do you think I have the correct t'stat?

Get the numbers off the engine, not off a users manual that a previous owner may have picked up online.
How to identify your engine or drive

Post your actual numbers here, and I can find out exactly what you have. Pictures would help too.

Don S

Great, now you know for sure.
The info I gave you about changing the thermostat is correct.

KPotter

Cadet

Thanks for your help Don. I see when I go to the volvo penta staore and look up the t'stat with the correct model number, the t'stat is a different number than what I have.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I went thourgh this a few yrs ago....i had not touched a thermostat for 30 yrs. You just gently dig out the O ring and pull the stat...and reverse the procedure...You can also soak the housing in vinegar for 24 hour's it will clean up the corrison and you will see how it fits back in with greater clarity.

Don S

You have a thermostat and rubber ring for a (F) model. You do not have and F model, therefore the thermostat you bought for the F model is the wrong one. Again, I don't have a clue what number you seen in your last lookup, but the stats for the Closed cooled and the ones for raw water cooled are different and they will have a different number.

Here is the parts chart for your serial number found HERE.

View attachment Parts chart B.pdf