Raw water pump pulley removal question on 2003 5.0 GXi-E

mazzerman

Cadet
Hello all.
The bearings have gone on the raw water pump, and although its not leaking at all the impeller housing has a significant wobble, so before it goes really bad and packs up I am going to replace the entire pump assembly.
I have ordered a genuine complete unit including the pulley, impeller housing etc.
I haves checked Seloc online and it looks fairly straightforward.
I will take off the in and out pipes off the pump and plug them. (Boat has to be in the water unfortunately no lifts in my marina).
Take off the serpentine belt.
Then I will undo the 3 bolts and take off the impeller housing so I can get to the Allen bolts.
Now this is where I need some advice please.
After I remove the Allen bolts, will the pulley just slide out or will I need a gear puller?
Also is there anything else I need to be aware of?
Thanks in advance.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Raw water pump pulley removal question on 2003 5.0 GXi-E

Typical that Seloc left out a few steps.

Remove the hoses and plug the inlet hose since the boat will be in the water.
Remove the bracket by removing the two bolts shown.
Remove the belt.
Remove the 3 allen head bolts (5/16") No need to remove just the housing, you can turn the pump with the hoses and bracket off so you can access all three bolts.
The pump and pulley should come off. If stuck, just pry it off the vibration dampner

Untitled3.jpg

Thalasso

Commander

Don,
Just where can you get the O.E.M manual? I know you can't get them from Volvo. I called there Hdqtrs. in Va and there reply was they don't have them and couldn't give any info as to where to get them.

Don S

Go to the link below, and type in your serial number or model number of your engine. Follow the links and the manuals are listed at the bottom.
Publication search - Publications / Manuals : Volvo Penta

If you have a Volvo dealer that can't (or won't) order you a manual, then you have a poor dealer and should really contact Volvo and tell them.

mazzerman

Cadet

Typical that Seloc left out a few steps.

Remove the hoses and plug the inlet hose since the boat will be in the water.
Remove the bracket by removing the two bolts shown.
Remove the belt.
Remove the 3 allen head bolts (5/16") No need to remove just the housing, you can turn the pump with the hoses and bracket off so you can access all three bolts.
The pump and pulley should come off. If stuck, just pry it off the vibration dampner

View attachment 178447

That's great thanks Don, I hope it's as straightforward as that, I have a gear puller/bearing separator set just in case.
Will there be a substantial amount of water when I release the inlet hose from the pump?
I have a couple of different sized plugs ready but don't want to be surprised by a tsunami when I take the pipe off.
Thanks for the advice.

Don S

You won't need a puller to remove the whole pump. It's just bolted up against the vibration dampner, with a couple alignment protrusions on the pump. The protrusions get corroded sometimes, and why it make take a screwdrive to pop it out of them. They only stick out an 1/8" or less.

You will probably only get water that's in the hose, depending on how your boat sets in the water. No, it's not going to spray all over the place like a garden hose. No pressure, the water from the drive is sucked into the pump.

mazzerman

Cadet

You won't need a puller to remove the whole pump. It's just bolted up against the vibration dampner, with a couple alignment protrusions on the pump. The protrusions get corroded sometimes, and why it make take a screwdrive to pop it out of them. They only stick out an 1/8" or less.

You will probably only get water that's in the hose, depending on how your boat sets in the water. No, it's not going to spray all over the place like a garden hose. No pressure, the water from the drive is sucked into the pump.

That's perfect thanks Don should go quite smoothly with a bit of luck, new pump should be here in a day or two, so will let you know how it goes. I have a video of how much movement the pump housing has while running but not sure if anyone would be interested in seeing it? But if anyone is then I can put a link to Dropbox for it.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'd be interested in seeing it just for education sake.

Don S

I'd be interested in seeing it just for education sake.

His video is to show the play, that's easy to explane, any movement is too much. It should spin on the shaft, that is the only movement there should be.

mazzerman

Cadet

Movement was a little excessive.

mazzerman

Cadet

New complete raw water pump and serpentine belt now fitted and all is now good again, I also replaced the small rubber steady on the holding bar between the inlet and outlet pipes.
I have just reconditioned the old pump as well.
I found a new bearing ( 6006RSR ) and got a complete set of seals and impeller kit from Volvo so now have a complete spare

image.jpg
image.jpg