knock sensor location??

alw

Cadet
Hi Guy's I had a issue this weekend when a sensor on starboard side of 2002 5.0 gxi b(f) under the engine rotted off and started to pump water into the bilge when running and did not continue after it was shut down and bilge pump finally caught up. Alarm was going off. I can not locate this in my seloc book. I have to cut the nipple off that broke flush and could not be in a tougher spot. It has a single wire and a brass fitting with a 7/8 heater hose connected to it. I have the sensor out, I think it is a knock sensor and on the way back a short run the temp gauge did not work and the bilge pump had a tough time keeping up with the flow of water,Thankfully I did not have to go far when found.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: knock sensor location??

As I recall, the knock sensor mounts in a Tee fitting with the hose barb for the water hose, and fits into the block drain hole near the starter.

alw

Cadet

Yes Don that is exactly where it is and I thought that was the knock sensor but could find nothing in The Seloc book. Would that make my temp gauge show no temp,as it was working prior to this issue. I was trying to find a part # to get another one. Thanks Again and I feel at ease with your knowledge!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just go to your local auto store and get a machined street tee the proper size. Get steel, not brass. With the extra weight of the cooling hose out there, brass can crack to easily where it threads into the block.

If you can't get a street tee, just use a regular tee and a close nipple. You can use a brass tee, just use a steel nipple that goes into the block.