1999 Volvo Penta 4.3GL PWTC tune up part info needed.

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a 99 Monterey 180M with the 4.3L Volvo 4.3GLPWTC engine.

Going through it the only thing I found wrong was
slightly old/corroded cap and rotor and needs plugs (because I broke one getting it out to check) so
I could just replace one.

I will be running it at 5000-7000' of altitude mostly crusing and pulling ski/tube/wake.
Mixture has been tuned for high altitude operation.

My manuals are in route from Amazon so I can't check them.

Does anyone have info on

1. It has Champion RS12YC plugs in it is that the recomended plug for high altitude running....are there any other alternatives?

2. Cap and rotor part numbers can be found for Volvo parts but I was hoping to get them local through NAPA or CarQuest as I am far from a Volvo Penta parts department and I am hoping to get it on the lake this weekend.

3. In older car engines (carbed/distributor/non-electronic) running at higher altitude you could use lower
octane gas (85 octane is normal here). Does that apply to this engine as well?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1999 Volvo Penta 4.3GL PWTC tune up part info needed.

1. Get rid of the Champions, go back to the original AC plug, MR43LTS.;
Save the champions for your lawn mower.
2. Cap and rotor are standard Delco EST distributor parts and the same as automotive.
3. Use regular gas.
4. If this is going to be a temporary visit to high altitude, you may want to drop down a size or two in prop sizes. Not sure what you should go to, but if you ask over in the prop forum, perhaps someone knows what size would be best.

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice

4. If this is going to be a temporary visit to high altitude, you may want to drop down a size or two in prop sizes. Not sure what you should go to, but if you ask over in the prop forum, perhaps someone knows what size would be best.

Thanks for the info.

I live at 5000' closest lake is 5300' other lakes in the area are all between 5000' and 7000'.

My plan is to see how it does with the current setup and go from there.

Dave

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I should have also said that the previous owner used it mostly at 6300'.

Dave

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I should have also said that the previous owner used it mostly at 6300'.

Dave

That probably would have helped. It's probably already has all the upgrades to be run at those altitudes. From the sound of your original post you were going up to 5000+ feet from sea level or lower altitude.

Don't worry about the prop, it's probably already been set up for the higher altitude.