Aq280 install - stuck with an inch to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomh1972

Cadet
I'm in the middle of installing my Volvo aq280 leg to my aq 260 5.7 l, but the drive is stuck about an inch (maybe less) from the yoke pins. I've tried a mallet, I've tried jiggling it, and I've tried steady pressure, but it will not bUdge. It also does not want to come back off. Any help would be appreciated.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Aq280 install - stuck with an inch to go!

Turn the prop with it in gear to line up the splines.

Tomh1972

Cadet

Splines are aligned. As I said, it only as 1 inch to go - the splines were aligned 3 inches ago.

Thx.

Tomh1972

Cadet

I guess the next step is to attemp removal, and try filing the splines for a better fit?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

IMHO, it's much easier to install the outdrive without the upper gearbox attached to the intermediate. Then you can install the gearbox by itself. If you do it that way, you're more likely to easier see any interferience without wrestling with multiple issues.

Tomh1972

Cadet

Thanks. I had not thought of that. I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:

Tomh1972

Cadet

No dice. Got the upper disconnected from the drive, but the ujoint yoke is stuck fast. Won't budge in or out.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Ouch.... rubber mallet or pry it off. I've heard of people using a come-along if needed.

Tomh1972

Cadet

Mallet and webbing come-a-long did not work. I'll be disassembling the u joints and trying a three jaw puller next.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds rough. Are the shaft and yoke the original ones?

Tomh1972

Cadet

Probably. Interesting part is that they got stuck on install, not removal (iow they are not rusted together).

Jimbangun

Cadet
Did you find out why it got stuck? I took off the upper housing and the yoke slipped out easily. But now putting it back in it doesn't fit. Don't want to bang it in and get it stuck.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did you find out why it got stuck? I took off the upper housing and the yoke slipped out easily. But now putting it back in it doesn't fit. Don't want to bang it in and get it stuck.

Please start a new thread. None of members posting in this thread visit anymore and it's over 6 years old. Thanks.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.