Volvo penta alternator wiring

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice
Hello gang, I was installing a 2nd battery and noticed something odd. There are three RED (pos) wires coming from the MBSS (main battery selector switch),I noticed a short one was free and the lomg one was attached to starter. I took off the MBSS and noticed that Bat 2 wire was going to the starter, feeder was to the battery and battery 1 was free. In the pisture I am hold the POS red wire from the alternator. It seems that this should go the the MBSS or right to a battery (other wise how does it get power back to the battery?). Where should the feeder from the MBSS go (??) and I assume the Bat1 Bat2 wire go directly to batteries? Hope for help, thanks

2rzdtnn.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo penta alternator wiring

What engine? model & year. What alternator? How many batteries do you actually have? From your description, your system is all messed up.

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don, sorry about missing info. Volvo Penta 4cy 151, 1985 ish, just a very common B230 volvo 4cy engine common in the early/mid 80's. Don't know exactly what alternator. I had one battery, was installing a 2nd, I do have the setup with a selector switch to accomodate 2 batteries.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture of the back of your alternator where all the wiring is. I can usually ID the alternator like that. But tough to do with only part of the alternator showing in the picture.

swcejk2002

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Don. Sorry its been late responding. Heres a couple of pics/ Also if you happen to have an idea, I had the ignition switched from points to electronic, The engine turns over fine, and I can see gas going into the carb, it will semi-start with a spray of starting fluid, but not on its own.

Heres a couple of pics of alternator. thanks

kcxu7o.jpg

vykqs3.jpg