Volvo Penta Power Trim Unit Problem

klccdoyle

Recruit
I have a 2000 Glastron SX 175 3.0 Volvo Penta. I was having problems with the starter motor. During its replacement the power trim started blowing fuses. As far as I can tell there is no power going to the power trim motor or the fuse before it. Is it possible that the wire between the starter motor and the fuse for the power trim could be shorted out? I have replaced both relays and was able to apply power directly to the power trim motor and it worked. Any ideas or suggestions?

Bigdave196

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Penta Power Trim Unit Problem

Post a picture of your throttle control lever and a picture of the trim motor. I found several "gremlins" in my trim pumps wiring that were half-azz'd at one point or another. Mine had a toggle switch replaced where they did not soldier in the wires to the trim toggle switch, and upon looking further my wires that are ran through the throttle control lever had just worn out and it was consistently popping the 10a fuse on the pump itself. Check your wiring but my trim pumps power supply ran strait to the battery.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should have a 50A circuit breaker going to your trim pump and a 10A fuse on the trim pump that supplies power to the trim button on your control only.

klccdoyle

Recruit

Post a picture of your throttle control lever and a picture of the trim motor. I found several "gremlins" in my trim pumps wiring that were half-azz'd at one point or another. Mine had a toggle switch replaced where they did not soldier in the wires to the trim toggle switch, and upon looking further my wires that are ran through the throttle control lever had just worn out and it was consistently popping the 10a fuse on the pump itself. Check your wiring but my trim pumps power supply ran strait to the battery.

Thanks. A friend of mine suggested the same thing. We pulled the throttle assembly apart and everything looked good in there.

klccdoyle

Recruit

You should have a 50A circuit breaker going to your trim pump and a 10A fuse on the trim pump that supplies power to the trim button on your control only.

I checked the 40A fuse on the circuit breaker and there was also a spare fuse there. I tried both and no luck. It was originally blowing the 10A fuse on the trim pump, but now it isn't blowing anything because I can't seem to get power to either fuse. Do you think it is possible that the wire either shorted out or fried in between the starter motor and the trim pump?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have power on both terminals of the circuit breaker?

klccdoyle

Recruit

Do you have power on both terminals of the circuit breaker?

Thanks. I found the 50A circuit breaker. I had confused what you said previously with the 40A fuse. I don't have on both sides of the 50A circuit breaker. I used a jumper wire in place of the breaker & the trim motor worked. I am going to order a 50A circuit breaker. Thank you again for you help. :)