Fuel not getting from gas tank to fuel pump

vbub

Recruit
Fuel is not getting from the fuel tank to the fuel pump of my Volvo Penta SX. I think the fuel tank has a 'pumice' type filter and is perhaps clogged. I used Stabil when winterizing as I always do but perhaps the gas 'varnished' anyway. Access to the fuel tank is difficult. Can the filter be unclogged by pouring any chemical in the hose that goes from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. If not, i have been told I can use a compressor to blow the fuel filter in the tank off. If I did that I would probably add an inline filter to the hose from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Anyone have any thought?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel not getting from gas tank to fuel pump

When filters get clogged up, they get replaced, not cleaned.

Bondo

Staff member

Can the filter be unclogged by pouring any chemical in the hose that goes from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. If not, i have been told I can use a compressor to blow the fuel filter in the tank off. If I did that I would probably add an inline filter to the hose from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Anyone have any thought?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... The elbow at the top of the tank has a hose barb where yer fuel line starts,...
That fitting is the anti-siphon valve, a check-valve...
No blowin' air in....

There may, or more likely isn't a screen on the bottom of the dip-tube,..
It's accessed by unscrewin' the elbow mentioned above...

Ya want a canister style fuel water separator type filter,...
Not some in-line crap...

'n,... No,... No magic in a can....

vbub

Recruit

Thanks to Don S and Bond-o for your comments. I do want to change the filter but it sure looks difficult to access. Am I right about that?