Please HELP with steering helmet bolt. AQ125B w/ 280

vladens

Seaman Apprentice
Don't know if anyone remembers my older posts, but I bought a Bayliner on Craigslist with AQ125B motor. You guys were great helping me out to figure out some of the issue; the motor is running now and interior is almost finished (whatever previous owner didn't finish).
I think originally boat came with 270 outdrive because that's what the rear cover says, but you guys helped me figure out that it is actually 280. The boat was missing a steering yoke & helmet along with couple other small things. I have a yoke and a helmet now, but have a hard time figuring out what part number bolt do I need. The one that came with the boat (as spare parts) is the kind that would have 2 smaller bolts go through and bolt up to outdrive. But it won't work with my outdrive. I bought a single wide bolt on ebay that was suppose to be for 280, but it still doesn't fit, too big (that's what she said!:D).
Can someone help me figure out what part number bolt do I need? I've tried looking up on parts fiche and the part numbers I found refer to that thing with 2 small bolts.

Here are some pictures:
IMAG0687sm.jpgIMAG0688sm.jpgIMAG0689sm.jpgIMAG0692sm.jpgIMAG0695sm.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Re: Please HELP with steering helmet bolt. AQ125B w/ 280

the piece with the two counter-bored pockets and the two threaded holes is for a 290. may fit others.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You need bolt #832716 it has 1/2-13 threads, which should be the same as your upper gear box by the looks of it. Just get a regular bolt to check the gear box threads.
Here is a picture of the 862716 bolt.
vp0832716.jpg

vladens

Seaman Apprentice

Don, that does look like the right bolt...
Thank you very much! You've been very helpful as always.

vladens

Seaman Apprentice

OK, so the bolt came in last week and I installed it on the weekend, but now I think there is still something missing. Should there be some sort of a bushing or spacer between the bolt and the helmet? I tightened the bolt, but helmet still move very slightly. There is definitely a free space under the head of the bolt.

Once again, I've tried looking up these parts in the parts catalog, but all I'm coming up with is configuration where a different shoulder screw is used (one with 2 bolts in it).

vladens

Seaman Apprentice

Then you have the wrong bushing in the helmet, or the wrong helmet. This happens when you start swapping parts.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mari...on_id.534910508--store_id.366--view_id.765104

Look at connecting components under Transmissions.

Don, I understand that that's what happens when you start swapping parts. I already have 2 different helmets, 2 different yokes, 3 different shoulder bolts. Unfortunately it wasn't my choice, I bought the boat this and am trying to find all the missing pieces and get it in working condition. I just need some help....

Right now there is not bushing in the helmet at all. According to the parts list under the link you gave me it should be # 14 and/or 15. 14 does not even have a part number, and when I googled the part number for #15 this is what I found LINK
This bushing looks really curved. Is that right, is that what should be in there?

vladens

Seaman Apprentice

am_dew, thanks for reply!

I don't mind ordering and trying it out, but I just don't think this is it. The reason I say this is because this bushing has thread on one end, and neither on my upper gear cover nor on the helmet I have any exposed thread left over. The only thread that was there is where the shoulder bolt screws in.

vladens

Seaman Apprentice

Bump.

So, no one know what kind bushing do I need here to go along with #832716 shoulder bolt? Currently I have no bushings there in the helmet at all....
These are couple of option that I found, part numbers 814641 or 839697
839697.jpg814641.JPG

Can anyone confirm if it's one or the other, or none of them...

floorboy

Seaman Apprentice

My 280 has one like the one on the right but I think this helmet came off a 270 if I remember right. That said my old helmet had some kind of a plastic/brass bushing in it.