2008 5.0gxi hours??? Faria hour meter???

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Read a thread earlier regarding how to check hours on a Merc. Post was looking to find out if dealer and scan tool was the only way to get hour info. Poster stated that there was a way on his/her Volvo to read by some manner w/o dealer and scan. Well...in order not to hi jack I will ask here:)
My 2008 5.0 gxi has me wondering how many hours are on my boat. First weekend of use this weekend shows that the Faria tach/hour meter does not display like it should. It only shows one place, only one digit, just the 1/10 (tenths) of an hour. No decimal point, no whole hours. Boat is a 2008 Azure AZ220 deckboat and Faria gage face shows dlp098a. BIG selling point was the low hours when I bought it. I contacted Faria and asked for their help and info regarding the gage. BUT I am also wondering how many hours are really on my low hour boat since obviously the meter is no help. Hoping I can find out w/o a trip to the marina.
And, in advance, THANKS for the help!
:)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2008 5.0gxi hours??? Faria hour meter???

No way that I know of to get hours out of any EFI engine without a scan tool. You could get trouble codes out of the older MEFI ECM's with a diode and paper clip, but not engine hours.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for that!
May have to look at pulling the "brain" and taking it to a local Volvo dealer I guess.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No, you can't do that. You have to leave it in the boat so they can hook the scan tool to the diagnostic terminal.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oops. OK. Thanks for mentioning that too.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well, shipped the tach/hour meter out to Faria this afternoon for repair.
With the boat being fairly new, I expected to be able to buy a new one...
It's a 4" 6,000 rpm, chrome/ss/ bezel, grey faced tach with the digital hour meter. Says dlb032 on the face and model is THC032.
Thought since it is going to be a couple weeks I would at least shop and see about filling the hole in th edash even temporarliy like.
Tried Ebay and just Bing Shopping w/o much/any luck...
Anyone have a line on Faria Gage sources??
If not I will just wait I guess.

THANKS!!!

Oh, yeh. Called a couple Volvo service places $85-90 to check the pcm (in boat just like ya said-THANKS or I would have pulled it out w/o thinking).

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks. Sure hoping that I don't have enough of a need to warrant that purchase, but nice to know where to get one if I do.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just an FYI...
I just got the tach and hour meter back from Faria.
Either a brand new one, or mostly all brand new.
Both functions do just that:) Function!
Took 3 weeks to a month almost, but they did a nice job.

rschap1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Just wanted to post what I had happen this last week again...

My pontoon boat has Faria gauges also.
The tach quit working a mid- summer.
I waited until I had boat all stored for winter, pulled the tach, and sent it to Faria.
Got it back a couple days ago.
They had it just a little over a week.
For my cost of shipping, they again sent me back either brand new or redone with my old tach's face gauge.
VERY happy with how they treated me twice now.
Nice that they stand behind their product and support their customers.
Wanted to share that since I was wondering how things would go down earlier this year when I started the thread.