Volvo Penta 280 outdrive tilts up on reverse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrwadim

Recruit
Hello all,

I have quite strange problem with my Volvo Penta 280 outdrive. We have been taking it out of the boat and making maintenance this spring. We have been checking for bearings in the gearbox because we have found that there is faulty o-rings and there was water in the oil. We have changed all faulty parts and putted it back together. We haven't been touching locking mechanism only the gearbox and forward/reverse wire to get gearbox out. Now when the boat is on the water and we have been trying to reverse outdrive tilts up so the lock is not working. However when I try to turn of the engine, pick up reverse gear and trying to rise up outdrive with my hand it seems to be locked pretty well as I can?t rise it up in any way. NOTICE the engine is off. After it I put forward gear and it goes up (by hands) as it should. So while my engine is OFF all seems to be working. Once I turn ON the engine and try to reverse outdrive is tilts up. How the lock can be dependent on the engine?

The engine is Volvo Penta AQ175A
Outdrive Volvo Penta 280

Any ideas?

Thank you!

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Penta 280 outdrive tilts up on reverse

Im bumping this up, because mine is doing the same thing. My friends boat does it too. Raises up in reverse, then slams down in forward. Im afraid I am going to rip the transom plate right out of the transom.

mrwadim

Recruit

Hello,

I have managed to fix this problem. The thing I did I have just tighten screw marked in the picture. Shift cable was about a half inside I have tighten it to be fully inside so the locking bar is pushed more while some shift is on. You can also try to do the same. We made it in the water, so there is no need to take the boat out of the water. If it doesnt help there can be some worn parts and in this case it is better to take boat to the shore.

Here is the text provided by marinemechanic.com:

Hi:
There are several possible reasons and most of them involve the operation and/or condition of the tilt-lock mechanism itself.
The most probable is that the "retaining rod pawl" isn't locking the "lock collar" properly. Usually, making an adjustment to the "shift cable" to push the "retaining rod pawl" further into reverse will correct it.
The other is that the spring latches are either worn or not coming up completely caused by binding of one of the other components. Check and clean all components of the lock mechanism and make sure it moves freely. Do this by supporting the stern drive so it is not sitting on the "transom shield tilt pin". Use a rope to hold it up about half way. Then work the mechanism, by hand, to make sure all parts move freely without binding.
Then have some one in the boat shift it into reverse and watch to see if the "lock Collar" is being engaged by the "retaining rod pawl".

Read this page carefully.
http://www.marinemechanic.com/volvo/tilt_lock_1.htm

It is a brief explanation of the interaction of the different parts of the locking mechanism.

This should get you started. Let me know if you need more.

Attachments

• vp_reverse _lock.jpg
    vp_reverse _lock.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 92

jsiracu

Cadet

Hello,

I have managed to fix this problem. The thing I did I have just tighten screw marked in the picture. Shift cable was about a half inside I have tighten it to be fully inside so the locking bar is pushed more while some shift is on. You can also try to do the same. We made it in the water, so there is no need to take the boat out of the water. If it doesnt help there can be some worn parts and in this case it is better to take boat to the shore.

I would like to know which screw was tightened, and what area on the drive you tightened the shift cable and you did this in the water. I have been battling kicking up of the leg when shifted into reverse for 3years now. Finally this year I changed the pawls , the one center spring and the two outer springs, actuator, sleeve and nut. It now does lock but slips occasionaly. I noticed when shifting into reverse a little binding feelingon my )a
Hello,

I would like to know which screw was tightened, and what area on the drive you tightened the shift cable and you did this in the water. I have been battling kicking up of the leg when shifted into reverse for 3years now. Finally this year I changed the pawls , the one center spring and the two outer springs, actuator, sleeve and nut. It now does lock but slips occasionaly. I noticed when shifting into reverse a little binding feelingon my hand. When I feel the binding it slipsand when the binding disapears it locks.... So strange. Sounds like something loose. How do I tighten the shift cable while the boat is in the water like u did?

mrwadim

Recruit

I would like to know which screw was tightened, and what area on the drive you tightened the shift cable and you did this in the water. I have been battling kicking up of the leg when shifted into reverse for 3years now. Finally this year I changed the pawls , the one center spring and the two outer springs, actuator, sleeve and nut. It now does lock but slips occasionaly. I noticed when shifting into reverse a little binding feelingon my hand. When I feel the binding it slipsand when the binding disapears it locks.... So strange. Sounds like something loose. How do I tighten the shift cable while the boat is in the water like u did?

Hi,

1) rise up your sterndrive
2) take shift cover plate off (2 screws)
3) unscrew shift cable adjusting screw holder screw off
4) rotate adjusting screw to get the shifting cable coming out more
5) try out to tight it a little bit first for example 2 rounds and the add some more if it doesnt work
6) put all back together

sorry for my English =))

vp_reverse _lock5.jpg1011464_2.jpg

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the shift has nothing to do with the latch. A 280 only unlatches when you raise it. Leave the shift alone. You have a broken spring in the latch or something.The raise/lower motor assembly is part of the picture. Has that been checked yet? I found my holding bar snapped in half once.

mrwadim

Recruit

However it helped in my situation. Im not suggesting to rotate adjusting screw it too much to get something broken but It deffenatly worth a try!

Usually, making an adjustment to the "shift cable" to push the "retaining rod pawl" further into reverse will correct it.

govols

Cadet

Im bumping this up, because mine is doing the same thing. My friends boat does it too. Raises up in reverse, then slams down in forward. Im afraid I am going to rip the transom plate right out of the transom.

Your problem sounds different than his. If it is freely moving to that extent, you probably have a faulty trim cylinder. I have the same problem right now and just ordered a seal kit to repair mine.

jsiracu

Cadet

What is a holding baror are you reffering to the lock bar/pin that the pawls latch to? Anyways digged in deeper now. trim up indicator light remains iluminated on dash. Tilt motor is working in forward neutral and reverse but does not tilt drive up. Stuck in the down poisition. With assistance by hand lifting the leg and engaging tilt up button the drive does come up. Though the indicator light still lights up drive down. I notiiced in the black box wheretrim relay located a switch grey colour with a nipple on end of when pressed light turns off. Alsi I believe it is the tilt rod does not come up far enough to engage the nipple on switch to turn off light. Mechanic changed that tilt rod for new one ...old one was bent it was working up until yesterday. Also reverse is kicking up where it was fixed last month installed brand new pawls, new outer springs and centre sprinWhat is a holding baror are you reffering to the lock bar/pin that the pawls latch to? Anyways digged in deeper now. trim up indicator light remains iluminated on dash. Tilt motor is working in forward neutral and reverse but does not tilt drive up. Stuck in the down poisition. With assistance by hand lifting the leg and engaging tilt up button the drive does come up. Though the indicator light still lights up drive down. I notiiced in the black box wheretrim relay located a switch grey colour with a nipple on end of when pressed light turns off. Alsi I believe it is the tilt rod does not come up far enough to engage the nipple on switch to turn off light. Mechanic changed that tilt rod for new one ...old one was bent it was working up until yesterday. Also reverse is kicking up where it was fixed last month installed brand new pawls, new outer springs and centre spring new push rod ,sleeve and plunger and tilt rod. Drive was locking for 1 month and all of a sudden this happened overnight. It all started with aburnt buss few that powers tilt motor.... I am stuck, what the hec shoulld i do

SteveMcD

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oops, sorry, not a holding bar- it is listed as adjusting pin. The rod that runs across the bottom of the transom shield in one of three holes that the drive latches to. I am wondering if the threaded shaft is stripped. Do you have the tilt mechanism diagram and parts list? Go to the Volvo website and you can download them all.

york

Recruit

Mine wouldn't lock, I took the cover off and worked every thing, and the rod was pushing it down as far as it could, it still would not latch, I took a screw driver pried up on the claw and pulled up on the motor and it would latch, as soon as I let pressure off, it would unlatch, so there is a rod running off of it up the Left side of the transom( If You are facing the Transom) , I bent it a little so it would pull the latch up a little more. Now it works, now its not the proper way to fix it. But it did on mine
Also I just got my first boat, It is a 86 Volvo AQ 131 , not sure which out drive, Looks kinda like 280 or 270.
This boat was in ok shape, but I had to rebuild carb, put new impeller in it, a frezz plug was out of the head and it was full of water, got all that fixed, O ya wouldn't go in gear, pulled cover off and the carter pin had came out of the shift lever.
got to the water and it would only turn 2 grand. I went threw the timing put new points, condinsor, plugs and wires, and it runs great now.
All that being said, Thanks to this site and the people on it, because every thing I need to know was here. Thank you!!

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the shift has nothing to do with the latch. A 280 only unlatches when you raise it. Leave the shift alone. You have a broken spring in the latch or something.The raise/lower motor assembly is part of the picture. Has that been checked yet? I found my holding bar snapped in half once.
My 280 I repaired by installing the missing rod that goes from the shift linkage to the locking pawl. The latch only latches in reverse, unlatched in forward. Its designed that way, so if you hit bottom, or a submerged obstacle, the outdrive will swing up. If the shift isnt adjusted correctly, and not going fully into reverse, it wont latch.

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your problem sounds different than his. If it is freely moving to that extent, you probably have a faulty trim cylinder. I have the same problem right now and just ordered a seal kit to repair mine.
Mine doesnt have power trim. I fixed the problem by replacing a missing rod that MRWADIM described in the previous posts, now it is working fine. I have power tilt, not power trim. Power trim is rare on these outdrives, but they are out there. My problem was exactly the same, and I fixed my buddies outdrive the same way.

Rowdy2855

Recruit

I know this is an older thread, but I'm having this problem and I am brand new to the forum and to this boat. I have an 85 bayliner ciera 2855 with Volvo penta 260a engine and penta 280 outdrive. The trim wasn't working at first. By chance as I was familiarizing myself with the components in the engine compartment I rotated the black top to the what I'm guessing is the tilt motor. It started working but is in and out as far as operation. It tilts up when reverse is engaged. Please excuse my ignorance as I am brand to the boat and forum. Thanks in advance for any help!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

paul.jpg
Welcome.
The tilt lock could be bad??
If the drive lift motor isin't all the way up, it will not lock.
The lift motor on the end it has a small round thingy that pushes on a rod that releases the lock.
You need to get in there and see if all the parts are free.
If they are free and operating correctly then the locking paul #38 is not hooking.

Rowdy2855

Recruit

Thank you for the reply! I haven't gotten the chance to dive into it yet.. sometimes the tilt works and other times it doesn't. It started working one day when I rotated the top of what I guess is the tilt assembly. Not really sure how the thing works. I don't see any hoses so I'm guessing it's either mechanical or like an actuator.

mrwadim

Recruit

Hello all,

this year I have also found that there are some parts missing (I have marked them on picture attached). After installing this small bar and 2 springs outdrive seems to work as it should on the reverse. So I would suggest to check these parts first are they in place and not damaged and if everything seems to be fine then try to tighten nuts described in drawings below.

vp_reverse _lock1.jpg

Cambe1

Recruit
Hi there. I have a 280 with the same issue. I would like to know can a 280 leg be trimmed up/lifted slightly while in reverse in a low marina without kicking all the way up? Or are the 280's not trimmable in reverse & have to be locked down?

Status
Not open for further replies.