VP 4.3GL 430B impeller question

KBHumphrey

Seaman
1992 Wellcraft Excel 20SX with the 4.3GL 430B motor.

DSCN0055.jpg

I'm coming out of my second winter of ownership and thought I'd change both the impeller and thermostat. Going out on a limb, I'll say the impeller needs it based on the pic above, right?

My question: How does that housing come off? Nothing matches in the engine manual I have. Is it the three Allen bolts in back that attach it directly to the crank? That seems to be the only option.

Also, is the thermostat housed behind it or above where several hoses come together? I'm guessing up top but wanted to confirm first.

Any other tips to pass along?

Thanks
Ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 4.3GL 430B impeller question

1. It is not a 4.3GL, that designation didn't come about until 1994.
2. The 430B is your model number.

Nothing matches in the engine manual I have.
What manual do you have? If it says 4.3GL, it's the wrong manual.

Is it the three Allen bolts in back that attach it directly to the crank?
Yes

Also, is the thermostat housed behind it or above where several hoses come together? I'm guessing up top but wanted to confirm first.
The thermostat housing does have hoses going to it, and is located on the top front of the intake manifold.

KBHumphrey

Seaman

Thanks for the clarification. So my motor number is either 868526 or 4100136306?How interchangeable are the thermostats? I ordered based on the 430B designation but it looks nothing like the original even though it fits the space.

Who is a good parts vendor for them? Thanks

Ken

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 4100 number is your serial number, the model number is 430B, the other number is a spec number and not really good for anything.

Look just above your first post, click on Volvo parts, and choose OEM or aftermarket. Look up OEM first to get the right numbers, then use that number to verify anything aftermarket.

Maclin

Admiral

Maybe you want to take the pump housing off for good reason, not sure, but you do not need to remove the pump housing just to replace the impeller.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

The only thing holding the impeller inside the housing, is the brass cap, which you now have removed. The impeller can now be pulled right out of the housing, with this tool.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...10001&storeId=11151&productId=15576&langId=-1

In the center of the impeller, there is a rubber cap that can be removed with a screwdriver. When this is gone, the tool can press against the end of the shaft and thereby pull the impeller out.

Volvo actually suggests that you can pry the impeller out with two screwdrivers. I don't like this method, since you may damage the edge of the pump housing, so be carefull, if you try that.

I have the same engine (430).

Attachments

• impeller_tool.jpg
    impeller_tool.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 1