Dripping water on a Volvo 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss9940

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all!<br /><br />To be quick: Before season i became a proud owner of a Caravelle 1750BR. The old engine was toast, so i bought a brand new one (GM) from MichiganMotorz. We installed it and it ran fine... Except there was always a small amount of water in the bilge. Now, when i winterized it, i discovered that there is watter dripping from the back of the engine - from the starter area (the starter area is wet). The dripping increases if i rev up the engine and goes down if i let it idle. Now, i checked everywhere around transom - the water definetly isn't coming from the transom area. Everything there was bone dry. I pulled the starter and checked the flywheel housing - maybe a little moisturized, not wet. Now i am clueless? :confused: :confused: :confused: Is there any other possibility where water could be coming from? The freeze plug or the drain plug behind the flywheel? Considering the fact that the engine is new, they could forgot to tighten the drain plug... How do i check that? I don't wan't to pull the engine again, i barely installed it :mad: Has anyone had similar problems?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Dripping water on a Volvo 3.0

The leak has to be inside the bellhousing, Short of pulling the engine and looking, I don't know how you could determine what the problem is. Could be a crack, or a freeze plug.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm betting on a Bad Core Plug..........<br /><br />And,.........<br />Unfortunately,.... Don's Right again,...... There's No Way to look behind the Flywheel without pulling the motor.................<br /><br />I'd do 1 More Thorough Inspection to try,+ track down where Exactly it's coming from,.....<br />The starter is on the dry side(or oil side) of the block,.... It's got to be coming from Above,......... Or from behind the flywheel,.... The flywheel Housing Should be Very Wet,.... <br />Look Closer.......<br />But,.. If it's as I read your post,......<br /><br />Shouldn't take more than an Hour,.. 2 Tops to have that motor on the ground,.. With the Flywheel Off.........<br /><br />Good Luck......

djvan

Chief Petty Officer

On my Mercruiser 3.0, I have a hose that hooks to the inner side of the transom and goes to the front of the engine. It's about 1" in diameter and 5/8 or 3/4 inside diameter. Mine was leaking and running water into the bilge. It took a close inspection to find the leak but it was there. Worth a look (if your setup is similar).<br /><br />HTH's<br /><br />DougV>

Status
Not open for further replies.