volvo dpx385 cooling system

tornado

Recruit
Volvo 385 dpx sucks up silt in shallow water. Intake is on bottom of boat?? I would like to go where every other boat my size can go. (23 ft campion chase)<br />Any suggestions? I've read about sea strainers. Could they help in my situation? Thank You in advance! ;)

Bondo

Staff member
Re: volvo dpx385 cooling system

A Sea Strainer will Help,.........<br /><br />Staying Out of the Mud,..... Will be Much Better...........

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

a sea strainer may help but only if you keep it clean. let it fill with sand or mud and the thing roasts.<br /> as far as the intakes it could be on the lower or from a through hull on the bottom. look and see

tornado

Recruit

The raw water intake is at the bottom of the transom at the back of the boat. Not underneath but might as well be. We will try and stay out of the mud,but we boat a lot on the river and that's what's there. The sea strainers could be cleaned or checked while in the water before taking off , correct ? I'm not sure where they would be connected. I would like to have some sort of buffer so I do not screw up this engine.<br /><br /> Thank you Rodbolt and Bondo for your help.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

you can mont a large Groco or other brand inline seawater strainer inside the hull. use a quality wire reinforced seawater hose and splice it in between the pickup and the first oil cooler.<br /> but it must be checked often if running in shallow waters. it can and will stop up during operation.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Mine is the same way. I just stay out of the mud. Why take the chance?

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

we have mounted sea strainers in a few 700 series chase before. you will need to add a flush attachment inside the boat as the pump wont prime with a strainer inline. that or fill the strainer with the hose and refit the lid before you run it on the earmuffs.