volvo penta 5.0 gl overheating

rush415

Cadet
Glastron 209 cuddy 5.0 glpefs (carb) ive changed impellar got all the rubber pieces i could out of prop and still overheating is there any where else rubber could be clogging?also i flushed into both hoses coming outm of raw water pump.last thing i did is connected a hose to inlet on raw water pump and stuck it in bucket of water and got no suction whats next?

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: volvo penta 5.0 gl overheating

I had this happen a few years ago on my 2000 5.0 Gi. Turned out that the plastic inlet where it is pressed into the metal pump had lost its seal and was sucking air. Not sure if we have the same pump or not. What year is the engine? Crank shafted mounted pump?

rush415

Cadet

Dsiek its a2000 5.0glpefs crankshaft driven i think.can you desribe where the problem onyours was thanx

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you replace the o ring too?

rush415

Cadet

Yes i did if your talking about the impellar o ring

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes that's the one I was referring to.

rush415

Cadet

Could it be the actual pump?if so how do i get it off?

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did it overheat before changing the impellar? If so, I would replace the thermostat. To be honest, I would replace the thermostat either way. Cheap insurance.

dsiekman

Sounds like it is probably the same pump. When you pull the hoses off the pump, the inlets may be plastic. The plastic inlet is press fit into the metal pump housing and (I think) has an internal, non-maintainable o-ring. If this is where you are sucking air, it's time for a new pump. You can try a quick fix to see if this is in fact the issue. Take some "emergency" silicone tape (got mine at the boat show a few years ago but now it is available at most boat stores) and wrap it around the plastic to metal joint on both the inlet and outlet sides of the pump. If you now have pressure, you need a new pump. They run around $375.

Have you pulled the T-stat housing? Did it have water in it? I had an issue with my first boat where the previous owner had not chased down the vanes from a totally destroyed impeller. They clogged up in what appeared to be an oil cooler or power steering cooler.

If I remember right, to pull the pump you first need to remove the belt(s) from the pulley, remove four allen head bolts holding the pump housing on. At that point you can get to the bolts holding the pulley to the crank shaft.

One thing you might try, pull the kill switch so the engine won't start, remove the outlet hose from the pump, then crank the engine. I've never tried this test, but I would assume it should pump water. Just a thought.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Did you remove the thermostat housing and clean the impeller pieces out of it? That is where they normally get stuck. You will have to remove the thermostat out of the housing to check for pieces blocking the bypass hole.

If the tubes on the inlet and outlets of the raw water pump are loose, you will have to replace the pump, as they will suck air.
To replace the pump, remove the 2 bolts holding the bracket 26 on. The pump and pulley are both part of the pump (#18 in picture) remove the 3 bolts (29) from the pulley to remove the pump assembly.

Click on picture to make it bigger.

Untitled1.jpg

rush415

Cadet

I have not pulled thermostat ,i will do that.could that cause lack of suction?also if its the plastic tubes on the pump housing can i just replace that instead of the whole pump pulley?and would bad plastic tube cause lack of suction of water.Btw sorry for all the stupid ?s new to this boat engine stuff

Don S

could that cause lack of suction?
Not lack of suction, but it will prevent circulation and cooling water to the manifolds if the holes are plugged up with old impeller.

also if its the plastic tubes on the pump housing can i just replace that instead of the whole pump pulley?
Nope, not repairable.

and would bad plastic tube cause lack of suction of water.
As I said in my previous reply, it will suck air which means it won't suck water from the drive, only the air from the leak.

rush415

Cadet

Kool thanks don ! so i think my next step i will check thermostat area for broken impellar pieces change it out while im in there.also i found solid brass pump housing (no plastic) that maybe my next step if step 1 doesnt help or since old housing is spinning at plastic i wonder if i should just spend the $133.00 and replace housing anyhow?

Last edited:

dsiekman

Kool thanks don ! so i think my next step i will check thermostat area for broken impellar pieces change it out while im in there.also i found solid brass pump housing (no plastic) that maybe my next step if step 1 doesnt help or since old housing is spinning at plastic i wonder if i should just spend the $133.00 and replace housing anyhow?

Just curious, where did you find just the housing? I need to do my starboard pump...

rush415

Cadet

Dsiekman i found it at a volvo penta parts store called helmuts in san rafael ca.18003265135

rush415

Cadet

Update pretty frustrated now changed thermostat also bought and installed new brass pump housing tested it by connecting hose from inlet into bucket. Nothing same result no water suck out of bucket there were no pieces of garbage in thermostat area. What next?

Don S

Are you sure you have the hoses hooked to the proper fittings on the pump?

Untitled1.jpg

rush415

Cadet

Yes hooked it up all correctly just like your diagram