Volvo Timing Marks, two sets, one engine!

Rickbaro

Cadet
My 1986 Volvo has a 305 Chevrolet. The timing marks on the notched tab attached to the timing chain cover are visible and familiar. However there is also a label on the dampener with similar markings. It is a yellow sticker with BTDC and ATDC degrees, as well as a green stripe that appears to be TDC. Does anybody know if I line up the green mark to the appropriate numbers on the tab, or do I line up the 0 degree on the tab with the appropriate setting on the label? I’ve never seen this sort of setup before.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo Timing Marks, two sets, one engine!

Rick,<br />To be sure you may need to get a degree wheel onto the damper and go through the setup to establish TDC #1.<br />Once that is done, REMOVE the incorrect label to eliminate any confusion in the future.<br /><br />Peter

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Volvo used to put a decal with the proper degree for that engine being highligted. I THINK you would time it with the green line lined up with the 0° mark on the indicator. But without seeing it, I couldn't say for sure<br />If there is ANY doubt though, all you have to do is look UNDER the decal. There is a groove in the vibration dampner that IS 0°.

Rickbaro

Cadet

Thanks guys,<br />After reading your posts, I went out and sat and stared label and timing tab. And then it came to me; there is a zero degree mark on the label, so I ran the back of my fingernail over it and like you thought, I could feel the groove underneath. On the BTDC side of the label there is a smaller green line at eight degrees, and further down the scale at about 32 degrees (the label goes as high as 40 on the BTDC side) is another thicker green line. At idle, the manuals call for eight degrees (first green line) and at 4200 rpm, the manuals call for 30-32 degrees (second green line). At the max rpm, the groove would be out of sight near the top of the rotation and nowhere near the stock tab. That’s why they put a label on the dampener. Pretty slick setup now that I know what it does.<br /><br />Thanks for your help.