Volvo Penta IPS

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class
I recently was out boat shopping at Regal dealership with my wife. The salesmen was telling us all about Volvo's IPS drive. Does anybody know anything about this setup, I know its new and not coming out unitl 2006. I was looking at a Commodore 3560 with I think a Volvo Penta IPS 400. The salesman said the IPS was 30% better on fuel, 15% better on accleration and 20% increase in top speed vs traditonal inboard. Any information on this setup would be great, seemed like a sterndrive mixed with a inboard, amazing technology.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta IPS

Go to the link below, you can order a DVD on the IPS system, and there are other links on that page for info on the IPS.<br />When our Volvo Tech rep last visited a couple of months ago, I asked about him about his thoughts on it and how it performed. While he spent about 10 minutes telling me about it, I will try to condence it down into one word.<br />Sweeeeeettttt !!!!!!!!<br /><br /> http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/

MSmith3615

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah super sweet, thanks for link. Seemed like next generation technology. I'm pretty sure your a volvo guy. This might be a dumb question and keep in mind I'm not anywhere close to a mech and I don't know very much about inboards but does merc have anything to compete with this thing. Can I get one on a boat less than 30ft? Anybody who likes I/O's and inboards should really check out that link.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The IPS is strictly an Inboard upgrade, and not something you change a boat over to. The hull designe and everhthing is setup strictly for the IPS system. <br /><br />They also have absolutlely nothing to do with I/O systems, and shouldn't even be talked about in the same breath. <br /><br />Not only are they not small enough, but they have to be used in a twin engine setup, not a single engine. The smallest boat they can be put on is a 35, with the ideal size in the 45 to 50 foot range. And the boats weight and balance has to be designed in for use with the IPS system.<br /><br />Mercruiser has nothing to compare with it.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

And from what I have read on this system, maneuvering and docking a big boat with this is light years above inboards! Go for it.