Volvo Penta 270

gamiller31

Cadet
I was given a boat, it has AQ125A engine and 270 outdrive. Engine does not currently run, but outdrive was recently rebuilt. I have read quite a number of post that don't show the AQ125 as being a real reliable engine. I don't want to continuously have to put money in the motor. I have no problem rebuilding it if necessary, but if a different engine(GM,Merc,etc) will bolt right up, I would rather spend the money on a reliable, and more user friendly engine.

whywhyzed

Banned
Re: Volvo Penta 270

other's won't bolt up unless you get the dedicated bellhousing that Volvo used with the engine.. your bellhousing (the part joing the block to the drive) is only good for the volvo.<br /><br />If you find another complete Volvo engine pkg, that should work.<br /><br />Your outdrive gear ratio is suited to a high revving 4 cylinder. <br /><br />If you go here http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marineengines/outofproductionengines/gasengine/sterndrive/ <br /><br />you can look at other Volvo's that might have used the same sterndrive ratio

scottatwork

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo Penta 270

I like the AQ131D that I Have so far and I've read that they are bullet proof. So far it seems easy to work on...