volvo penta exhaust hose replacement

posum2

Cadet
Does anyone know the procedure for replacing the exhaust hose on a 1980 Volvo penta 270? its the hose between the exhaust manifold and the pipe to the lower unit. there is no room to feed in the hose, it also is mot alligned with the pipe. do you have to loosen the bellhousing and lift the engine or loosen the pipe? thx

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: volvo penta exhaust hose replacement

Manifolds have to come off probably

posum2

Cadet

ok, thanks a lot, i'm just a little worried about breaking those long old bolts on it but will try. k

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

sometimes you can cut the old ones off with a razor knife and install the new ones between the riser and the pipe usuing dish soap. other times its a riser removal. depends on what engine the 270 drive is on, sometimes volvo models get a little confusing<br /> I find a gin and tonic helps :)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> sometimes you can cut the old ones off with a razor knife and install the new ones between the riser and the pipe usuing dish soap. :)
If its like my 280 with the old rear riser and short hose, no way without the mans off...only a few inches between 'Y" and man outlet. And you might need to replace the manifolds anyway Posum. They rust out from the inside, and 4 years salt, 8-10 years fresh is about all you can get out of them

posum2

Cadet

Ok, will try the gin and tonic first!<br />I guess the manifold comes off, should I move the riser too? does it move easily? looks like 4 bolts from outside but have to pull bellows to get it? thx, k

posum2

Cadet

Hi again, I also am having trouble with the manifold, does anyone have any advice on method to pull it without breaking everything? thx again

arfaname

Seaman

LOL.. sorry but I must laugh. I have just replaced the exhaust hoses on my 280 sterndrive with a whole 130mm from the end of the leg inlet to the side of the bearers of the boat. Nothing lines up and mine are different diameters top and bottom. I managedto find some semi flexible high temp exhaust hose here in aus for au$95 /m. Its a nightmare of a job and I reckon that I spent a good 40 hours and a slab of bourbon cans to do it. In hinesight I should have taken it somewhere for them to do it. I ended up removing the elbows off the end of my rolco manifolds event though the studs were rusted. I simply bounced enough pressure on the spanner to ever so slightly crack the nuts and then lubed them up and undid it half turn forward 1/4 turn back, half turn forward and 1/4 turn back etc etc. Used rubber grease on everything, reassembled, clamped, replaced gaskets and tightened the lot. All is going well now. Dont make my mistake and start the job before you have flushed the engine. Mine blew out. <br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Sean

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> Manifolds have to come off probably
I will correct this by saying the risers need to come off, IF, they are centerrise manifolds

posum2

Cadet

Hi, thank you, I got it done by taking the manifold off,b ut tried to take the riser off too since it is not alligned with the manifold, anyone know how to allign it?? thanks a lot,k

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by posum2:<br /> it is not aligned with the manifold, anyone know how to allign it?? thanks a lot,k
Slow reply (slow mind I guess-thought of it this morning), but as the pistons are off set in a V-8, and I see my rear manifold has a jog on the rubber exhaust hose to make it meet the "Y" pipe, maybe you don't need to align anything. But without a picture, were spitting in the breeze