Volvo SX stern drive installation

tspomeroy

Recruit
I removed my 2002 SX stern drive unit to replace the driveshaft and exhaust bellows. When I installed the drive all seemed to go well until I tried to start the engine. Drive was installed with gear in forward position, put into neutral before starting. When I turn the key all I hear is grinding. The engine will not turn over and it sounds like the issue is in the stern drive (based on where the noise is coming from (had a girl in a bikini try to start as I sat by the stern drive). Called the shop they said to trim down and try again, still no luck. They mentioned it might be the bearing in the gimbal housing. So I pulled the drive again and the bearing looked nice spun with no resistance. The driveshaft and U-joint assembly looks good and spins the prop freely. I even pulled the starter to look for any issues, none. Help, I in Tucson its 108 degrees and I’m not at the lake with the girl in the bikini.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo SX stern drive installation

sounds like a starter drive issue. not much you can do wrong installing the drive to cause a starting problem. try to crank it with the drive off (dont allow it to start) but I think your looking at a starter issue. by chance did the starter get wet ? if you do wish to start it with the drive off insure you have water to the seawater pump

tspomeroy

Recruit
Re: Volvo SX stern drive installation

Bingo - Starter was the problem (kinda). Pulled the starter again and had tested at the local automotive shop. Starter tested ok, so I went to the electrical and sure enough the battery was low. Put in a good battery and it fired up just fine. Next time I'll start with the simple things first.