Volvo AQ131A water in oil question

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK Guys I got a good one for you here.....<br /><br />I just bought the boat, (1986 Bayliner 19 foot)<br />I got a good deal on it, it has 700 hrs and an AQ131A engine in it.<br /><br />I checked the dipstick and it had a milkshake oil look to it......<br /><br />So before I start the boat or anything I drain the oil.......(that was fun), pull and change the oil filter....<br /><br />Then I hook water up to the outdrive and let it run (The water)......thinking if I had a cracked exhaust and it was getting in that it would do that.........er, wrong......needs to be running it appears but that's all good.<br /><br />So I check plugs, they're good, distributor caps/rotor/points (?) need changing but the previous owner did the plugs and wires.<br /><br />So I check the oil that I drained and it does NOT appear to be water in it, it APPEARS and smells to be gasoline......and how........<br /><br /><br />So I take the fuel pump off, check it's vacuum to see if the diaphram broke because what faster way to get gas in the crankcase.......(PcV?)......fuel pump is great.<br /><br />So I hook water back up and fire her up, been sitting so it took a while.<br /><br />She runs great.<br /><br /><br />So what's up with the tan oil?<br /><br />The new oil was only in there running for 5 mins, I shut her down because I think the fuel line was split and I didn't help it (5 min fix tomorrow in daylight).<br /><br /><br />Is there a PCV system on this that I missed?<br /><br /><br />I'm not seeing anything wrong with the boat...<br />I'm just concerned I will get more gas in the engine.<br /><br />BTW - The engine inside was SUPER clean, you could eat off of it......except for the gas and oil :D <br /><br />Could this have been a winterizer thing he did? Maybe some compound that smells like it?<br /><br />It idled good but I did not throttle it up in the driveway.<br /><br />Thanks,

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo AQ131A water in oil question

Scott, I would still suspect that the fuel pump if you smell gas.....and that doesn't mean you don't have water present as well.....I'm not an OMC guy so I don't know what engine you have, exactly. Run it on the muffs, and see what happens.....A pourous manifold will take a little while to get a water/gas mix at idle speed......I wish I could be more help but.....Keep posting...Take 'er out for a short spin and see what develops.....JK

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Oh, and there is no PCV that I know of.....JK

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks, I'm still suspecting the manifold as well.....<br /><br />I have a st rong gas smell now but I need to replace the fuel line, it was already cracked and I suspect as it was getting dark last night I did not get something quite right.<br />She runs good though...<br /><br />I'll have to take the boat out and run it to confirm the manifold, although we are going to run a compression check on the engine this morning when my buddy gets here...<br /><br /> :)

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

A compression check won't tell you if you have a bad maifold. You may need to pull the manifold off and pressure test it. The fact that it runs good is a good sign though....Use marine grade fuel line for replacement.........JK

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We took the boat out today, the engine ran good, no water in the oil, but then it just shut down and would start and die again.<br /><br />I think the tune-up shoudl have been done BEFORE I went out hehehe<br /><br />Very pleased with the boat though, it did well.......<br /><br />no water in the oil, no leaking anything (Except the hull where hte depth finder was and I forgot to patch) :D

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Scott, is it equipped with a water separating fuel filter? If so, change that first & see if this helps your problem. It looks like an oil filter. Keep your eye on that oil though. I would examine it every time you prepare to go out and everytime you come in, (light permitting). You sure you were out? I went from Shilshole around Bainbridge & Blake and didn't see you :D Good Luck & keep posting.....JK

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

J - <br /><br />I was over by Keyport, I put in at Brownsville and headed over that way (4 or 5 miles at most)......made it there and slowed down, turned around and headed back when the problem arose :) <br /><br />But I want to get the tune up done too, it's something I do to every vehicle I buy, but I will check for that filter too!<br /><br />Weird, 2 other boats towed in at the same time, girlfriend did not feel so bad after that :) <br /><br />Thanks!

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Was busy stuffing my face with Dungeness! By all means do a tune up. What do you have? 4-6-8 cyl? I'm not an omc guy so AQ anything is Greek....Is it a GM engine?.....JK

scotttu

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's where I get confused!<br /><br />It says Volvo on it.....it's an AQ131 but whether it's an ABCD I'm not sure (Same Part # for tune up parts).....<br /><br />Sounds like it needs a tune up, I'm thinking it uses points and my VW used to act like this when the points went (Before I put a 90 Jetta motor in it hehe).......<br /><br />Heard they are catching some nice silvers out.<br /><br /><br />The goal is for me to get this boat in the water - the international "Friendship" bathtub race is next Saturday right outside Keyport, would love to be IN the water this year instead of on the dock :D (actually I'd rather be racing again)...<br /><br />The crab sounds good - always had a fresh supply when I lived in Belfair, seems like someone was always bringing me some!<br />Take care,