Sherwood G85 rebuild

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The sherwood G85 raw water pump is discontinued, I am purchasing a rebuild kit ( 23977). Where can I find the installation instructions for putting the bearings and seals on the shaft and in the housing?
There is no replacement pump for this. My engines an Volvo AQ240A.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Carden

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sherwood G85 rebuild

Carden, there is an alternative to the AQ240A pump if you have enough space in front of the engine.
6962.jpg

That would be a Sherwood, Jabsco or Johnson crankshaft pump like the later Volvo Pentas.
This would eliminate the belt driven Sherwood pump, one belt and the pump bracket.
You have to modify the suction hose and t-stat housing supply hose, but its a one time affair and not a big deal.
WaterPumpJohnsonLG.jpg

You can find the F5b-9 for around $150/160 when on sale .
8254.jpg

People with the belt driven pumps tend to defer impeller replacement and removal because the pump needs to be removed.
The crankshaft pumps are easy to pull the impeller for the winter lay up by removing the cover only.
These also have no belt tension side load on them and the bearing generally outlast the belt driven pump bearings.

Just a thought.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The chrankshaft pump is for Chevy engines, and has a different bolt pattern than the Ford crankshaft.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Well, if the Johnson doesn't work, the P105 does. I'm fairly certain that both use the same pattern.

CRURA057026.jpg

Crankshaft mounted Raw Water Pump
used on raw water and fresh water cooled GM 305, 350, 454 CID V8 and Ford 302, 351 CID V8 Engines
Fits Pleasurecraft, Volvo, Crusader, Indmar and Marine Power applications
Inlet Port: 1-1/4"
Outlet Port: 1-1/4"
OEMs: Pleasurecraft RA057026; Crusader RA057026; Sherwood P105
Uses SHE10615K Impeller Kit (1-5/8" Wide X 2-9/16" Diameter)
Data Sheet (PDF)

VisionIsle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Guys, I actually have already ordered the inners for the G85. Im presuming that the bearing and seals can all be put on the shaft rather easily and I can use an arbor press to then push that into the housing.
As far as the replacement pump (P105) I knew there had to be a different pump that would work.

Thanks for all your help!