Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

I'm easily confused! :D What is a Vring seal? Can you give me a picture of that and the brass keeper?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Those pictures of the water neck fitting are great examples of the hidden corrosion that's common on the AQ series drives. You might want to keep the pictures handy to use as examples for others.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Those pictures of the water neck fitting are great examples of the hidden corrosion that's common on the AQ series drives. You might want to keep the pictures handy to use as examples for others.
I was trying to figure out what drive I had when I first noticed it. Something just didn't look right and I had to reach from underneath to grab the hose. That's when I felt that it was loose. I loosened the hose clamp and fitted the hose back on but I could never get the clamp to tighten down without pulling the hose off! I'm sure glad I found it NOW before the engine overheated.

On another note, and continuing the saga, I am having a hard time getting the fill plug out. I am using a hand impact wrench and a brass hammer, but so far it hasn't budged. Are there alternate methods for filling this beast?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

I'm easily confused! :D What is a Vring seal? Can you give me a picture of that and the brass keeper?
The V-ring seal installs on the steering fork shaft...... it forms the seal to the transom shield.
Item #4 here.
7201.jpg

The brass wear washer .... aka split ring keeper, is #12 and is specific for the 200 trans.
This is a 250 style.
5070.jpg

#42 seal surface washer is where the shims will be that Don mentioned. Try to save this surface.
When this part is replaced the shim value changes and the bearing box rolling torque must be reset.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

OK, I picked up the prop this morning and am proceeding. I got a zinc for the prob, but I can't get it to fit. I see where it's supposed to fit, but I would need a spacer without the cone on it. Any ideas? Here are the pics.

PC070043.JPG

PC070037.JPG

PC070038.JPG

PC070040.JPG

PC070044.JPG

PC070046.JPG

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

That is not the correct ring anode for your lower unit. You'll want the 250/270 style anode and be sure to use the short spacer/line cutter.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I've finally found time to finish this, and its a tad frustrating! I have cleaned up the splines on the prop so that it slides right on and off with plenty of grease. When I go to fit the splined washer that sits just below the prop cone, it doesn't engage the splines. It's just not tall enough!

PC110048.JPG

PC110051.JPG

All the parts seem to be for the AQ200... any thoughts on this?

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like the inner prop hub is not positioned correctly, and that the outer prop surface is preventing the locking tab washer from engaging the splines.
You could machine some material from the outer hub, or you could possibly "cup" the tab washer some.
Try installing your spare prop and see if the same problem comes up.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I don't have a spare prop. I just had this one refinished.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

These props should position themselves so that the locking washer engages the shaft splines.
With the 200 drive you don't have the option of the spinner center locking bolt.
I'd take it back to the prop shop and explain the issue to them. It may need to have the inner hub replaced.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I was able to file off some "dings" in the prop and the spacer and it just fits. YAY! I am all together now and am ready to launch. I want to repair one window and install a second bilge pump before I do. I just got my Sea Tow activated, so I can actually get this puppy in the water tomorrow. I am PSYCHED!

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Captain's Log, 01/02/2012, 1214: The boat was launched successfully from Harry Harris Park. The event took about five minutes from start to park. We then successfully avoided all obstacles placed in our way and returned back to the ramp about an hour later. Loading the boat was easy enough at the end. Captain and crew are now in earnest planning the next jaunt which will include fishing on the Bay Side.

Notes: I need to add rear cleats and mid mount Eye Bolts for docking purposes.

I also need to add depth/GPS to the boat (the 10.1" Galaxy Tab was less than adequate).

Finally, the trailer needs work. The rollers were there, but have deteriorated and need to be replaced. Also, the lights failed to work after launch.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

One last thing: My intake pump starts howling if I get to about 4K engine speed. I am going to try a bit shorter and wider belt. The adjusting mechanism is less than optimal as the angle is all wrong. I'll post a picture a bit later.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Very nice work on the prop... was the grand total 65???

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

and what exactly the name of this company?
I have a prop but not nearly as damaged as yours was! i would love to have it looking like that

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Netdoc, I just got off the phone with Robert from Franks and Jimmies.. He is going to help me out with my prop (same as yours) without any welding it will cost about 66 dollars which i am ok with, mine is in better condition than yours....
plus the price of me shipping it back and fourth two.. but that is ok! once again thanks for your recommendation