Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

You mentioned in the other thread that you should push down on the spine with a screwdriver.

Not sure what you're referring to. What splines? What other thread?

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Nevermind... I pinched a finger or two, but I figured out what needed to slide down and the unit has been separated. There is some rust in there as well as some moisture. There are no obvious holes in the bellows, but the new one will be here tomorrow at 10:00 from the NAPA store that is almost next door (100 ft or so). I really can't believe how many marine items they have and a number of them in stock!

Now, the mid/lower unit is still FULL of oil. I am going to drain it. It says to use 90 wt gear oil, and the stuff that came out feels and smells like 90 weight. But HOW MUCH??? I don't see that in the manual (thanks again). Also, in order to get to the other side of the bellows, it looks like I need to raise the motor up. Any problems with this?

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what you're referring to. What splines? What other thread?
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095 There is a sleeve that needs to slide down so you can spin the unit to move it. I supported the two studs on a 3/4" thick square prybar so the upper housing wouldn't pinch me again. :D Once it disappeared into the soup, I was able to twist and remove. BTW, the u-joints are smooth as silk. I'm going to grease them and reuse. They look kinda new.

Don S

It should be engine oil, not 90W gear lube as shown in the manual. It was changed many years ago in service bulletins.
Should hold between 2.5 and 3 quarts.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I'm about done bothering the forum for the night with this, but I take it that to "unscrew the taper" as the manual describes it, I simply put a punch through the hole near the end and use a dead blow to take it off, righty tighty, lefty loosey fashion. I have bent all the tabs away from the taper and gentle percussive force has not induced it to move. How fragile is this taper?

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

It should be engine oil, not 90W gear lube as shown in the manual. It was changed many years ago in service bulletins.
Should hold between 2.5 and 3 quarts.
What weight? I guess I can use synthetic 20w-50?

Don S

Straight 30W will do fine, I would avoid synthetic in those older drives.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I would love to hear your reasoning on that, Don. Is it a simple mistrust or is there something I am missing?

I got the taper off of the blade this morning. An 8mm hex wrench through the whole, and a lot of gentle persuasion with a 2lb brass hammer. That sucker was on there GOOD! The threads look sharp with no galling, but there was some kind of detritus. I am guessing mild corrosion or lock tite. Now I have to pry/pull the blade off. I am off to my warehouse for a three jawed puller. I also have to go pick up the parts that should have come in an hour or so ago! Woot!

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

My pullers aren't quite long enough to do this. Any ideas other than me getting a bigger puller?

Don S

I would love to hear your reasoning on that, Don. Is it a simple mistrust or is there something I am missing?

30W oil is one of the recommended oils used on the older Volvo engines. The others varied over the years. Back then, synthetic wasn't even recommended.
In the newer drives, the material the shift cone was made from changed several times from what was used then (40+ years ago). Using synthetic may not hurt anything, but who knows. Give it a try and see if it slips or not. I know good ole 30W non synthetic engine oil works perfect. Let us know how your choice works out.

The "taper" you keep referring to is now called a cone. Volvo didn't translate to english very well back then.
Props get stuck on the prop shaft if crazy people use Eversieze on the prop in salt water. It almost guarantees the prop won't come off. I have cut off many (in pieces) to get them off.
Use grease on the prop shaft, and remove the prop and regrease yearly, it's a lot cheaper.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for your recommendations Don. I hope I don't have to cut it off.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Is there a procedure for cutting this off, or do I just have to wing it? Its a composite of aluminum and rubber and I feel that I am about to pull the blade right off of the hub. What a lousy design!!!

Don S

What a lousy design!!!

Don't blame the design blame the previous owner. That's how all props were made at one time. Your problem came from many years of NO maintenance. The rubber hub is what takes up the shock when the prop hits something. Saves the drive.
There is no "procedure" just cut the prop off, cut or burn the rubber off and heat the inner prop hub splines to get it off the prop shaft.

You might post your question over in the prop forum, perhaps someone there has a sure fire method of removing frozen props.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

You might post your question over in the prop forum, perhaps someone there has a sure fire method of removing frozen props.
Don, 30 years of dealing with frozen crap on automobiles have paid off. When I pulled the prop up with the three jaw puller, I noticed that I could get to the back of the hub that was stuck to the spline. So I slipped in my bearing separator and tightened up the nuts finger tight. Normally, you use a hydraulic press or thread into the two holes on the separator to pull gears and bearings off of spindles. That's not possible with a three blade prop since one hole is always hidden. Instead, I took off the three jaw puller and the prop settled onto the bearing puller. Then I put the three jaw puller onto the bearing separator and although there was a bit of a cant from uneven footing of the puller, it zipped the prop right off! Yay!!! I don't think I did any damage to the rubber by flexing it and will be having the prop shop pick it up ASAP. Now I am going to finish putting my outdrive together. I really don't like destroying stuff to get it off. I can't tell you how upset I was when it seemed like that was the only out. I will be cleaning up the splines and lubing them generously. Not that anyone really cares but, I still think its a poor design.
image_18479.jpg
Bearing Separator

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

OK, the propeller is off to be repaired for $65.00. I was going to assemble the other parts, but it was obvious that the bellows was the wrong one! I went to the next door NAPA and ordered the right one. I also ordered the zinc behind the propeller (wasn't even there) and they'll be in Monday. I have no idea when the prop will be back. I guess I'll work on the windshield today! I could bolt in the pick up which made me open this can of worms while I am at it.

About the zinc. The housing is painted (looks recent) where the zinc attaches. Should I sand/scrape that down before the zinc goes on or will the screws give enough of a connection?

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Don,

you mentioned slipping when we were talking about oils. Are there clutches or other friction elements in this? I am thinking that since I have the upper unit out, have the entire seal kit and have nothing else to do, I might as well reseal it. Thoughts?

Don S

Are there clutches or other friction elements in this?

It's a cone clutch, and yes it works on friction.

As far as resealing the drive, just make sure you don't loose or mix up any of the shims, and when you do the double bearing box front seal the rolling torque will have to be reset. I would also check the gap under the top nut. On those old drives you can bet it's over the limit. Usually the brass washer that covers the keepers is damaged and not flat.
You have the manual, have a look at it on the processes.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Yesterday, I got to work on my Fibra and have most of the lower unit reassembled. Most of it is back together... I am looking for a small nut I purchased for the linkage to finish up.

Some pics as I continue my work on this:

PC040028.JPG

PC040029.JPG

PC040030.JPG

PC040032.JPG

PC040035.JPG

I haven't heard back on my prop. I was hoping it would be done by now.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I just got off the phone with Frank and Jimmy's Prop Shop and the prop will be finished today and in my hands tomorrow! YAY!!! Maybe I'll get to finally launch!

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

you've got an old 200 drive like Don said, also the main drive gear seal is unique to the 200 250 tansmission..
looks like its mated to a 280 or ??? transom shield and its missing the Vring seal on the steering fork.
ditto on the top nut clearance and brass keeper.