Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

Thanks for your recommendations Don. I hope I don't have to cut it off.
    Pete "NetDoc" Murray
    I love to start what I finish!
    Owner of the MV ScubaBoard
    23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

Is there a procedure for cutting this off, or do I just have to wing it? Its a composite of aluminum and rubber and I feel that I am about to pull the blade right off of the hub. What a lousy design!!!
      Pete "NetDoc" Murray
      23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

What a lousy design!!!
        Don't blame the design blame the previous owner. That's how all props were made at one time. Your problem came from many years of NO maintenance. The rubber hub is what takes up the shock when the prop hits something. Saves the drive.
        There is no "procedure" just cut the prop off, cut or burn the rubber off and heat the inner prop hub splines to get it off the prop shaft.

You might post your question over in the prop forum, perhaps someone there has a sure fire method of removing frozen props.
        Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
        That is what the forums are for.
        Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Originally posted by Don S View Post
          You might post your question over in the prop forum, perhaps someone there has a sure fire method of removing frozen props.
          Don, 30 years of dealing with frozen crap on automobiles have paid off. When I pulled the prop up with the three jaw puller, I noticed that I could get to the back of the hub that was stuck to the spline. So I slipped in my bearing separator and tightened up the nuts finger tight. Normally, you use a hydraulic press or thread into the two holes on the separator to pull gears and bearings off of spindles. That's not possible with a three blade prop since one hole is always hidden. Instead, I took off the three jaw puller and the prop settled onto the bearing puller. Then I put the three jaw puller onto the bearing separator and although there was a bit of a cant from uneven footing of the puller, it zipped the prop right off! Yay!!! I don't think I did any damage to the rubber by flexing it and will be having the prop shop pick it up ASAP. Now I am going to finish putting my outdrive together. I really don't like destroying stuff to get it off. I can't tell you how upset I was when it seemed like that was the only out. I will be cleaning up the splines and lubing them generously. Not that anyone really cares but, I still think its a poor design.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	image_18479.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	7018918
          Bearing Separator
          Pete "NetDoc" Murray
          23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

OK, the propeller is off to be repaired for $65.00. I was going to assemble the other parts, but it was obvious that the bellows was the wrong one! I went to the next door NAPA and ordered the right one. I also ordered the zinc behind the propeller (wasn't even there) and they'll be in Monday. I have no idea when the prop will be back. I guess I'll work on the windshield today! I could bolt in the pick up which made me open this can of worms while I am at it.

About the zinc. The housing is painted (looks recent) where the zinc attaches. Should I sand/scrape that down before the zinc goes on or will the screws give enough of a connection?
            Pete "NetDoc" Murray
            23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

Don,

you mentioned slipping when we were talking about oils. Are there clutches or other friction elements in this? I am thinking that since I have the upper unit out, have the entire seal kit and have nothing else to do, I might as well reseal it. Thoughts?
              Pete "NetDoc" Murray
              23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

Are there clutches or other friction elements in this?
                It's a cone clutch, and yes it works on friction.

As far as resealing the drive, just make sure you don't loose or mix up any of the shims, and when you do the double bearing box front seal the rolling torque will have to be reset. I would also check the gap under the top nut. On those old drives you can bet it's over the limit. Usually the brass washer that covers the keepers is damaged and not flat.
                You have the manual, have a look at it on the processes.
                Don S.

Please, no PM's (Private Messages) regarding boat/engine problems.
                That is what the forums are for.
                Only forum/moderator issues will be answered in PM's.

Comment

Yesterday, I got to work on my Fibra and have most of the lower unit reassembled. Most of it is back together... I am looking for a small nut I purchased for the linkage to finish up.

Some pics as I continue my work on this:

I haven't heard back on my prop. I was hoping it would be done by now.
                  Pete "NetDoc" Murray
                  23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

I just got off the phone with Frank and Jimmy's Prop Shop and the prop will be finished today and in my hands tomorrow! YAY!!! Maybe I'll get to finally launch!
                    Pete "NetDoc" Murray
                    23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

you've got an old 200 drive like Don said, also the main drive gear seal is unique to the 200 250 tansmission..
                      looks like its mated to a 280 or ??? transom shield and its missing the Vring seal on the steering fork.
                      ditto on the top nut clearance and brass keeper.

Comment

I'm easily confused! What is a Vring seal? Can you give me a picture of that and the brass keeper?
                        Pete "NetDoc" Murray
                        23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

Those pictures of the water neck fitting are great examples of the hidden corrosion that's common on the AQ series drives. You might want to keep the pictures handy to use as examples for others.
                          '76 Fiberform Custom 18
                          Volvo AQ130D/280

Comment

Originally posted by PiratePast40 View Post
                            Those pictures of the water neck fitting are great examples of the hidden corrosion that's common on the AQ series drives. You might want to keep the pictures handy to use as examples for others.
                            I was trying to figure out what drive I had when I first noticed it. Something just didn't look right and I had to reach from underneath to grab the hose. That's when I felt that it was loose. I loosened the hose clamp and fitted the hose back on but I could never get the clamp to tighten down without pulling the hose off! I'm sure glad I found it NOW before the engine overheated.

On another note, and continuing the saga, I am having a hard time getting the fill plug out. I am using a hand impact wrench and a brass hammer, but so far it hasn't budged. Are there alternate methods for filling this beast?
                            Pete "NetDoc" Murray
                            23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

Originally posted by NetDoc View Post
                              I'm easily confused! What is a Vring seal? Can you give me a picture of that and the brass keeper?
                              The V-ring seal installs on the steering fork shaft...... it forms the seal to the transom shield.
                              Item #4 here.

The brass wear washer .... aka split ring keeper, is #12 and is specific for the 200 trans.
                              This is a 250 style.

#42 seal surface washer is where the shims will be that Don mentioned. Try to save this surface.
                              When this part is replaced the shim value changes and the bearing box rolling torque must be reset.

Comment

OK, I picked up the prop this morning and am proceeding. I got a zinc for the prob, but I can't get it to fit. I see where it's supposed to fit, but I would need a spacer without the cone on it. Any ideas? Here are the pics.

Pete "NetDoc" Murray
                                23' 1968 Fibra

Comment

Working...
                                X