Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer
OK, I am just about ready to launch my franken boat. Its a 68 Fibra with a merc 3.0 engine and a Volvo Penta outdrive that has 270 on the back. There is talk that it might be something different... here is my latest problem: the water intake is ultra corroded. I tried to put the hose up further on the hose bib, but when I tighten the clamp it slips right off. Where would I find this doo-dad and am I going to have to pull more than just the neck? There is not much room in there. I think I want to change the hose while I am there.

PB190005.JPG

Port View

PB190006.JPG

View from the Bottom

PB190004.JPG

Starboard View

NetDocsBoat-71.jpg

Starboard View

fasthobbys1

Cadet
Re: Volvo 270 outdrive water intake issue...

sorry to say the best way to change the hose connector is to remove drive first so you can get at allen screws. only place to get the part is a volvo parts place. I don't know of any aftermarket replacements.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

How "big" of a job is that? Any online/downloadable manuals out there? Any blow by blow descriptions? I actually was able to trim and push the hose up a little further and a somewhat larger clamp fit right in and tightened up.

Also, how do I check the earl on this unit? I want to actually launch this baby. Only a windshield to go!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You DO NOT have to remove the drive.
Just remove the upper gear box, replace the hose connector, and replace the bellows if it's over 2 years old.
Usually takes about 1 to 1.5 hours. Easy job.

Have a look at this thread. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

You can also get the hose connector either OEM, or Sierra makes one. Doesn't last as long, but they make one.

Don S

I was just looking at your pictures a little closer. I can see you need a bellows, and if you get any kind of growling noise from behind your engine, the bearings in the flywheel housing are bad, the ujoints are bad, and you probably need an input shaft seal and seal seat in the upper gear box if you plan on keeping oil in the drive.

captmello

Captain

you only need to remove the upper gear box. the procedure is described in this thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

It is not a difficult job.

Here is an aftermarket intake fitting here on Iboats. comes with the gasket. iboats calls it a thermostat housing??? Makes it a little tricky to find.:rolleyes:

http://www.iboats.com/Hose-connection-Sierra/dm/*******.947723361--**********.221705283--view_id.173338

Good Luck.:)

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I was just looking at your pictures a little closer. I can see you need a bellows,
Actually, that's where a film of dirt is flaking away... the bellows is maintaining its integrity. I felt it with my fingers, but I like the idea of replacing it AND the seal at the same time. You had mentioned at one time that it may not be a 270. Something to do with the three screws holding the shift cover on.

Maclin

Admiral

Netdoc, in the pic labeled "View from the Bottom", the bellows is clearly torn thru. Just be ready for at minimum a rusty compromised set of ujoints, and maybe at worst everything Don S mentioned.

Don S

Actually, that's where a film of dirt is flaking away... the bellows is maintaining its integrity. I felt it with my fingers, but I like the idea of replacing it AND the seal at the same time.
If there is no water in the bellows, I wouldn't worry about replacing the seal in the drive, it's not that easy of a job, and requires more than just a seal to do properly. The bellows should be replaced every couple of years. They are thin, and in salt water, if they leak the repairs are quite expensive. I kept my boat in the water all summer, and replaced the bellows at the end of each year during winterization.
I only takes me about 45 minutes to change the gear lube and bellows on those drives.

You had mentioned at one time that it may not be a 270. Something to do with the three screws holding the shift cover on.

True, but you keep calling it a 270 instead of what it really is, so I just give you information on 270's like you ask for instead of going back and finding your old post with what it really is or figuring out what it is again.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

True, but you keep calling it a 270 instead of what it really is, so I just give you information on 270's like you ask for instead of going back and finding your old post with what it really is or figuring out what it is again.
My apologies Don, but if I remember right, you gave me a couple of possibilities for what it could be. Is there a serial number on there that would pin point it? I was thinking that due to the age of the boat (68), you thought it might be a 200 or a 220. I would love something definitive!

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Volvo 200 outdrive water intake issue...

While this is apart, I am guessing that I can wiggle the u-joints (are there two?) to make sure they are smooth.

Don S

My apologies Don, but if I remember right, you gave me a couple of possibilities for what it could be. Is there a serial number on there that would pin point it? I was thinking that due to the age of the boat (68), you thought it might be a 200 or a 220. I would love something definitive!

There is no such thing as a 220 drive, and if you remember this post http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=508904&p=3426757&viewfull=1#post3426757 I said it was a 200 and why I said that, and where to find the serial number.
Not sure how much more definitive I could be. I also mentioned it in another thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=515032&p=3472828&viewfull=1#post3472828

Here is a link to download the 200 manual, I forgot I uploaded it. Seldom hear of one anymore.
http://www.4shared.com/file/123189408/3fa55eb3/200_drive.html

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It is hard to just feel boat u-joints and be able to tell if they are bad. Their range of travel when under power is very small and they tend to gall is one small spot. Disassemble to be sure.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

if you remember this post
Mea culpa my friend... I misread the post and thought you meant it could be either or. Thanks for the manual too. I have worked on thousands of cars, but this is only the third boat. Its not unusual to have some disorientation! Thanks for the manual as well!

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Don,

When you posted that bit of advice, I could not lower the foot and so I could not read the tag. Here is a picture of the tag.

Here is one more (last?) issue. When I rewired the relays, I got the up mixed with the down. Easy enough to fix, but I accidentally moved my boat around the yard thinking the drive was up when it was actually down and chipped the blade. Do I need to have it fixed before I launch? The previous owner suggested that I just dress it smooth with a file. I don't really trust his boating acumen. :D

PB200009.JPG

Serial Number

PB2000101.JPG

Chipped Blade

PB2000121.JPG

Chipped Blade

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

It is hard to just feel boat u-joints and be able to tell if they are bad. Their range of travel when under power is very small and they tend to gall is one small spot. Disassemble to be sure.
I thought they would be easily manipulated at this point. The effort required to disassemble ujoints apart can destroy them. You can easily feel any glitch in an automotive u-joint when the drive shaft is out. Not so much for CV joints unless they are really trashed.

captmello

Captain

you need a new prop. That one cannot be filed smooth.

Don S

Yor drive PZ number (serial number) falls within the range of 200 drive numbers 200001-225738.

Send the prop off to your local prop shop and get it repaired before you run it. That will create quite a vibration. They will also check the rest of the blades and make sure they aren't bent. MUCH cheaper than replacement.

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

You mentioned in the other thread that you should push down on the spine with a screwdriver. Does this mean that the top plate should have come off, or am I using the screwdriver as a wedge/lever? I could just fiddle with it, but I don't want to bend/scratch something I don't have to. From the looks of it, I guess I should have drained the earl first! :D