Volvo 270 water leak?

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer
When I run the outdrive on the garden hose/mufflers I see a small water leak from under the unit flowing over the zinc on the transom. Could that be a hose problem at the water intake? How do I troubleshoot it? The temp runs normally 180-190 again on the muffler since I have not had it in the water yet so its not overheating. I bought the boat from a friend over the winter but went out on it with him Labor Day, no problem with temps or anything all day.<br /><br />thanks for the help!<br />Joe

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Volvo 270 water leak?

Hi Joe,<br /><br />There is two areas that may be the source of your water leak:<br /><br />1. The 'S' shaped hose and connecting flange gasket.<br /><br />2. The centre pivot tube seals/bearings - worn bearings will cause a water leak and excessive steering freeplay.<br /><br />Your raw water pump is engine mounted, therfore it sucks water into the system through the two areas I've described. Running on muffs you are pressurising the system which effectively bypasses the need for a pump. <br /><br />To find your leak you will need to find exactly where it is dripping from. While on the muffs turn the leg from side to side until you have a better view of the area, you could also disconnect the hose from inside the boat and connect your garden hose so that it flows back outside the transom.<br /><br />Aldo

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Aldo, I plan to look at the s hose and gasket tomorrow. How difficult would it be to replace it for an average DIY? <br />I didn't see the center pivot tube seals & bearings you spoke about in the SELOC repair manual, could it go by another name? <br /><br /><br />Joe

Dunaruna

Admiral

This is the time when Don would post a very clear and precise scematic of the area in question, come back Don!!!! :( <br /><br />It's the vertical pivot (steering fork) at the back of the intermediate housing, it's the part that pivots when you turn side to side. Inside the pivot is a water tube that takes water from the vents to the 'S' hose. On either end of the water tube are seals and bearings, look up intermediate housing in you manual.<br /><br />The 'S' hose is easy to replace, the pivot seals require removal of the intermediate housing.<br /><br />Aldo

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

I see the steering fork now in the manual. I hope its just the 's' hose to be honest. Will let you know what I find. thanks.<br /><br />Joe

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

are you sure its not just water from the drain holes in the exhaust boot?

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

RODBOLT-<br />not sure where its coming from and I am new to I/O so it could be something simple like that!<br /><br />Would I do any damage to run it in the water and see if it overheats? No over heating on the muffs after running it about 10-15 min.<br /><br />Joe

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

most likly not. as long as its cooling your ok. the exhaust bellows has water draain holes in them so they will leak on the muffs in the driveway. actually they leaak in the water as well but its haard to see. takes special volvo goggles I think. if you have an air leat at the water tube oring or the water tube nipple or the water hose from the nipple to the transom you will find it once planed. a classic symptom is it works great until I plane it. the reason is when not on plane its all submerged and cannot suck air. so hopefully ya actually have no worries, yet :) .<br /> but as its a boat and not a Maytag you will :) :) .

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

thanks rodbolt. I will take a closer look at it as aldo suggested then test it in the water. Can't do that though for another week...other commitments! Never enough time!!<br /><br />Kitty Hawk is a wonderful place, my family will be in Duck in July, our favorite vacation spot. If it wasn't so darn far I would think about towing the boat! :cool:

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

one more question-<br />I want to remove the prop and replace the zinc. Manual says to put anti-seizing grease on the shaft? is this special grease? I hate when manuals are unclear like that. :confused:

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer

I believe that a good marine grade grease will do just fine, such as the grease you put into boat trailer bearings. But once you take off the prop, you may find that the shaft has plenty of grease on it already, in which case I would not worry about putting more on.