Volvo 4.3L one side hotter--with a twist

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class
One side of the exhaust on my Volvo Penta 4.3L V6 is hotter than the other. But here is the twist, the risers are fine. It's the exhaust down tub after the riser that gets hot. I should mention that everything is original from 1994 with low hours and fresh water only.<br /><br />I don't know what this means. Is the water pump not pumping? Is the impeller not impelling? Am I off track in left field? Any insightful insights would be greatly appreciated.

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo 4.3L one side hotter--with a twist

Could be the exhaust elbow. Take the elbows out and "rod" them. basically bang around inside them to release all the rust chunks then spray out with air.<br /><br />Could also be a stuck flapper/exhaust shutter.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Is this Lake Washington water,or a closed system? I would look for a restriction in that riser. Just because it has low hours and was run in fresh water doesn't mean it won't rust internally.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Plugged Riser/Elbow makes Perfect Sense to Me........

DaveM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys,<br /><br />I can believe that some rust might form in the past 11 years of motoring Lk Warshington.<br /><br />Now here is where I proudly show my ignorance... Taking the riser out seems straight forward enough--remove 4 bolts. I assume there are gaskets involved that will need replacing after banging the snot out of it?<br /><br />Don't laugh, it's my first time doing something more than the basics.

Bondo

Staff member

There's Plenty of threads covering replacing, or reinstalling Risers........<br /><br />Yes,... You'll need Gaskets,+ Be Careful of the Gasket Faces on the castings...... They Must be Perfectly Smooth.......

DHPMARINE

Captain

Never gave this much thought,but do sterndrive engines run even temps on both sides of the block,or suffer from water routing like a say V6 Johnson does ?<br /><br />DHP

Bondo

Staff member

On Paper,.... A SBC Should run equal on both sides.............<br /><br />But,.... I've Never Seen It Happen......... ;)

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine doesn't, facing the engine, the riser on the left side runs warmer than the one on the right.<br />Not a lot, but enough to tell the difference.