freeze damage to volvo 4.3 gl

bauerterry

Cadet
had freeze damage to the motor, a freeze plug came out and on advice of a boat mechanic a low cost repair was to install a block heater, that is done and now the new problem is the head leaks, a visable crack above the exhaust ports. I have run the engine and found that leak.....the rest of the block on the outside appears intact and no water was found in the oil after running the engine. my question is can one weld the crack shut or have the head fixed by a machine shop and go from there. I know the motor is probably shot but was wondering if it is common for the crack to just be in the water jacket or if it also is internal. Also if i must rebuild, any suggestions on where to find a block, and heads, I am thinking if i get a good block and heads to just swap out all the internal parts. I feel the rest of the internal parts...cam, pistons, crank should be ok since the motor has not got wet inside yet......any suggestions

Laddies

Banned
Re: freeze damage to volvo 4.3 gl

Sounds like you already shot yourself in the foot, have a proffesional ck it out, get a couple of opinions---Bob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to I/O

tommays

Admiral

if the motor is running and no water is going into the oil WHY would you do anything but change the heads ?<br /><br />or does it have other problems<br /><br />tommays

bauerterry

Cadet

no it has no other problems, just those two that i noticed...will a machine shop be able to fix the one head that leaks or can i have the crack welded shut.....thanks

tommays

Admiral

that would be up to your local shop machine<br /><br /> i dont think heads are a good item to weld up to many places have to be flat , valve seats to fall out ,ect<br /><br />tommays

bauerterry

Cadet

thanks.....i will check it out....the crack is on the outside just above the exhaust port....its a horizontal crack that appears to be in a part of the water jacket....anyway thanks again and if anyone else has some other advice let me know.....

QC

Supreme Mariner

Heads are commonly welded. Some frown on it, but some very large high compression diesels have been repaired with welded heads. They often weld heads even in the combustion area and across valve seat bores etc. I would especially not worry if it is just the water jacket. A reputable machine shop should be trusted with this.

bauerterry

Cadet

also is there any other ways of seeing if the block or other damage is done to the engine other than water in the oil.....or is that the best way to find out if it has a cracked block....thanks

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there dosnt really need to be another way.. if a block water jacket freezes and cracks.. and the crack is on the outside the water comes out and into your boat.. if it cracks on the inside the water comes out and and straight into the oilpan/sump..<br /><br />if u aint getting water in your oil and it aint leaking on the outside your block is okay..<br /><br />trog100

Bondo

Staff member

The Block Could be Sealed,+ Pressurized with Air to check for cracks.......<br /><br />Or as trog says,... If it Ain't Leaking,.. What's the Problem..........<br /><br />For the price of a used Head from a MachineShop, or Junkyard,.......<br />You Couldn't Afford the Phone Call to a Welder..........<br />The Lightweight Casting that those Heads are, Just Won't Take a Weld......<br />And, They're Plentful,+ Cheap........

magregor22

Seaman Apprentice

Don't try and weld it, just replace it and forget it. If you weld it and get it to hold you will always be worried about it.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by trog100:<br /> there dosnt really need to be another way.. if a block water jacket freezes and cracks.. and the crack is on the outside the water comes out and into your boat.. if it cracks on the inside the water comes out and and straight into the oilpan/sump..<br /><br />if u aint getting water in your oil and it aint leaking on the outside your block is okay..<br /><br />trog100
thankyou trog that didnt take long.<br /><br />have someone look very closely at all the major components manifolds and risers included. damage i have seen caused from freezing includes exhaust manifolds that froze, cracked, thawed then corrosion/rust filled the cracks preventing leaks, all during the same winter. if your head is cracked and your intake manifold isnt cracked internally i would be very surprised. when you pull the intake manifold to remove the heads look very closely at the underside. to be completely sure have the major parts magnafluxed.

bauerterry

Cadet

ok then assuming the block is ok and the heads wont be welded...heads from a junk yard...do all you have to do is match the block casting on the head of an auto engine to be safe or is there something else to assure the heads will match and should anything be done to them to make sure that they will last in a marine engine....thanks for all the input and keep it coming

trog100

Senior Chief Petty Officer

point noted BenC.. he he<br /><br />auto heads are bassically the same.. head gaskets and core plugs may differ..<br /><br />trog100

bauerterry

Cadet

I have been looking for a used head at the local junkyards, but i guess i need to know what heads will work, do i have to get the same year, if not what years are ok for the 4.3 vortec, my model is 2001. I assume i should use the same casting number. I also am wondering if anything is different from the auto and marine head, can they just be bolted on and go. Also should i get a valve job or anything like that done. I have found a few heads some from the 96-97 range for about 60 dollars and a 2001 for 99dollars, i assume the older ones have more miles on them and that concerns me.....any help here.....

bauerterry

Cadet

i did try them, they say they only sell the heads with the complete motor

Bondo

Staff member

Any of the 4.3l heads from 96/97 to present Should be the same........<br /><br />Yes,.. Take them to a Machine Shop,+ have them gone through.......<br />The Machine Shop Might also be the place to Buy your replacement..........<br />Most of the Shops around here have a few parts on the shelf.... And 4.3l's are Very Common......<br /><br />Actually,..... You should get the motor Torn Down, before you go shopping.....<br />There Might be More that you need......<br />The Other Head needs a Very Close Inspection......<br />Along with the Intake Manifold,+ the Block along the lifters in the Valley...........<br /><br />Good Luck.............