volvo 290 DP seal kit?

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Starting to get into some heavy learning on these outdrives. Friend/owner who i am helping is making up a list of seals to put this thing together. Does VOLVO have seal kits for a complete rebuild? Would be a lot easier than going thru the parts catalogue. MODS, how is that press./vacumne thread comming along? regards fred

ahein

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: volvo 290 DP seal kit?

Fred,<br />Try giving these guys a call, http://www.stemtostern.com/ . Although they don't list an entire seal package as one part number, they may have just what you're looking for in stock. I just bought some parts from them myself.They were really helpful and had everthing I needed. Genuine VP parts. Shipping was quick,too.<br /><br />p.s - They have some nice assembly diagrams online that give you the VP part numbers for your drive.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do a yahoo search for Volvo Penta parts... Several good sources come up.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

they make both an upper and lower seal kit. one is about 80 dollars and the other is about 115.<br /> takes two special tools to properly locate the prop shaft seals. one for the bearing box and one for the tube gear seals. seal kits will have instructions on the proper assy and tool use for the lower. you need to get the manual for proper dissasembly of the shifter housing. mess up driving the cam pin out and it will junk the housing. the assy is about 300 dollars. also takes some speacial tools to properly replace the crush sleeve in the upper bearing box. instead of the string and spring scale method,only if I am reusing the original bearings, I take a rolling torque reading with a dial type inch pounds torque wrench and reset the rolling torque to that spec aafter reassembling the upper bearing box. carefully tag all shims for the upper housing cap, upper housing to intermediate and upper bearing box so they all go back in the correct location. carefully mark the position of the upper gear shaft bearings so you dont mix them. shifting problems may result. do you have a factory DP manual ?<br />if not you really need one. while a simple seal job is within the capeabilities of most shade trees its imperative to follow the correct assy procedures for seal placement, rolling torques and shim pack replacement.

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello rodbolt. We dont have a factory manual, are trying to wing it with SELOC and CLYMER. Looks like this will get more involved than i thought, working on the tail gate of a truck. Have had to previous replace the clamp ring due to corrosion and friend said he had some difficulty with a crushable ring or washer. We will try our best and do a real good press.vacume test. Has got to work as the only alternative is to install a mast and sail(plan B),pull the engine an rig a sea drive(plan C),tow the CHAPARREL to the beach as a camper(plan D) I feel sorry for the guy. when do you throw in the towel and walk away from it? thanks for your time. fred

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I always precrush the crush sleeve in a press slightly before setting the rolling torque. if not odds aare you will break the bolt. the bolt is usually not strong enough to "break over" the new crush sleeve. ALWAYS use a new bolt on the upper input shaft. carefully follow the manual. a dial type inch pounds torque wrench is mandatory. if you over preload the bearings it will require dissaasembly and a new crush sleeve. once crushed or over crushed they are junk. this is really not a tail gate job. the seals in the lower dont like to be hammered in. they like a press. but remember Tight dies and loose lives. if ya cant hit the specs for proper backlash,gear pattern test and rolling torque slightly loose will live longer than slightly tight.