Volvo Penta - typical temperature

mwkelton

Cadet
I recently bought a 19' Chapparal with a 5.0L Volvo Penta. I am new to I/O's having owned an outboard for many years. What is a typical temperature reading when running full throttle? Mine seems to run between 180-200 F, which sounds high to me. I may have sucked sand thru the water intake and would like to know if I have some troubleshooting to do. Thanks for the input.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta - typical temperature

Basically, between 140° and 180° is the typical operating range. When it starts going over 180°, that's an indication of a problem starting.<br />What year is your engine? Could just be a bad impeller if you have been running it in the sand or it's more than a few years old.

mwkelton

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta - typical temperature

Boat and engine are from 1994. The impeller was replaced last fall before I bought the boat (according to the paperwork I received). I could have run thru some shallow sandy spots last weekend which I realize could have worn the impeller vanes down. The engine runs fine at half power (2500-3000 rpm) but increases when I push it to full throttle. Thanks for the input and the quick response. I'll watch it next time out and then start troubleshooting the impeller.