Fuel Consumption Volvo Penta 4.3GL (190hp) 1900 Regal Bow Rider

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hi,<br /><br />I have been asked to go on a trip with two other ribs which is a channel crossing of 40 miles. I have a 1900LSR Regal Bow Rider with a VP 4.3GL 190bhp engine. I have a 30 gallon tank and will carry 12 gallons in reserve. Does anybody have any rough calculations on how much this engine would burn at say 3000 rpm on a flat calm sea. This is just a starting point to see if it looks feasable. If it does I plan to do a 12 mile run then measure the fuel used. <br /><br />Regards<br />Chris

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel Consumption Volvo Penta 4.3GL (190hp) 1900 Regal Bow Rider

do the consumption test run, then allow 10 to 15% for error and currents. out of gas aint no fun far from home :) never trust your fuel gauge. they like to lie. always log hours and fuel used to keep a running check. we tow in 10 to 20 a year that found the gas gauge lies sometimes or they miscalculated the effects of the gulfstream current adding to fuel consumption.

QC

Supreme Mariner

You should absolutley do the calcs both you and rodbolt suggests. As a point of reference though, I would guess that boat gets at least 3 MPG at that RPM and probably closer to 4 if the boat/engine/drive are in good condition. That should give you at least 90 miles range without the reserve.

rabidfish

Never rely on "paper" fuel calculations...<br /><br />You need to make a distance(known) run and measure fuel usage. Every boat/engine combination is a little different, especially when you figure in props, conditions, etc...<br /><br />Even so, at least one of your other boats should carry a little extra fuel, just in case.<br /><br />Otherwise, I'd be suprised if you couldn't make the trip just fine.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, do the test but based on that configuration an 80 mile trip is not a stretch at all on 42 gallons of gas. I have a 351w (5.7L) powered skiboat and get approximately 3-6 MPG based on water conditions and cruising at 2500 RPM. :cool:

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW Chris. Just curious. Who's gallon? Yours? Ours? Those of you in the US will remember when we started to convert to metric. The UK did, half way . . . Speed limits in MPH, fuel in liters, maintenance in KM, personal weight in stones, food in kG. They also have ski boats with LPG conversions. You should see their trailer hitches!

cmyers_uk

Thankyou all. The 30 gallons I presume will be US as the boat is from the USA but the 12 in reserve are UK gallons. I am only doing the 40 nautical miles then will fill up again. One of the boats going with us has two 90hp engines but two tanks at 40 Gallons each so we will be able to transfer some in an emergency, the other boat will have three 5 gallon jerry cans. They all are confident and have over a 1/3 in reserve (They are mariners by occupation).<br /><br />I will do a specific test first but atleast it looks feasable. <br /><br />Next Question these are the spares I carry, am I missing anything obvious. The boat is in good condition all compression tests are good. Its had new coil and HT leads. Fires first flick of the key and runs all day fast / slow. Total hrs around 200.<br /><br />Engine Oil,<br />Fluid for P/Steering and Tilt and Trim<br />Spark Plugs<br />Fuel Filter<br />Alternator Belt<br />Water Pump belt<br />impellor<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chris<br /><br />If you do the run to calculate the fuel consumption just remember to consider the weight that u are carrying. More weight equals more water to displace equals more fuel used.<br /><br />The difference between running light and heavy can be up to 20-25%. If you plan to take camping gear, and cooking/drinking, diving gear ect. Make sure u allow for additional fuel consumption, unless you do the test with all the equipment that u intend to take on the channell crossing.<br /><br />Good luck on the crossing.<br /><br />Neil

cmyers_uk

Neil,<br /><br />Thanks hadnt considered the weight issue. <br /><br />Regards<br /><br />Chris

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Chris, I predict you will make the 40 mile crossing on your primary tank, and burn about 15 US gallons. If the water is calm, trim the motor to best speed, set the throttle to 3200RPM, trim tabs full up, and cruise.<br /><br />As for spare parts, you have a good list. You probably won't be changing the impeller during the trip however. Make sure you have some fresh water for drinking and washing the salt off the distributor and coil. You might bring spare spark plug leads, coil and rotor, and don't forget the tools and rags.<br /><br />Have fun!

Juhl

Cadet

I am not used to calculate in gallons but in liters and you can expect a consumption of app. 0.2L- 0.25L per HP per hour ie. the max consumption should be 38-47 L/h

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Chris, you made a list of spares you are taking. DON'T FORGET THE DUCT TAPE!!!! (thankyou KGee)...sl