DonS or other volvo techs

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
hello<br /> I have a friend that against my advice bought a boat with twin AQ250A/sp engines. one of them has such excessive blowby at 3000 rpm the engine will quit. unless you remove the vent line from the airbox and keep the engine hatch open. he is looking for a reman long or shortblock. anyone know if parts are still avalible for it and does anyone have a lead on a quality supplier of them? new from volvo its 5500 and shipping from sweden. great thing is I am not involved other than trying to locate him a source for parts :) :) . rodbolt dont work on stuff that old :) .

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: DonS or other volvo techs

Haven't tried to locate a rubberband engine for about 10 years, afraid I can't be of much help.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why dont you just have him get that motor rebuilt locally. It would be cheaper than getting a block from sweden. Also have him check out the Jasper engines website, they might be able to help.<br />Later,

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I show list $5275.00<br /><br />Volvo shows it's B/O, but there still won't be any shipping from Sweden.<br /><br />I'm thinkin' $5000.00 delivered...

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

well thats kinda what I thought. I dont work on them rubber band motors myself. to old and always create problems. so ill tell him to continue on as planned. he has a mechanic friend that works at the ford plant in Norfolk. this should be fun to watch but I aint touching it.<br /> my opinion is the whole boat aint worth 5K it has two of these rubber band motors 4cyl volvos and is 35 ft long. WOT is about 18 MPH and cruise is about 14MPH. I just wondered if any one knew where to find a long block. I told him that if the castings are good a decent overhaul should be accomplished for less than 2 K if he does most the work himself.