1984 Volvo Pents AQ125

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice
Hey got a question about a Timing Belt. Was out on the water and the Timing Belt (not Chain) Broke. I was talking to a mechanic and he told me that I should not have any problems with messing up the Rods or Values because that Engine had a Non-Interference type of Motor. Does this make any smese to any one. I as hoping that this was true.

vipzach

Lieutenant
Re: 1984 Volvo Pents AQ125

I don't know if you're motor is non-interference or not, but if it is then youshould not have valve problems. A non interference motor the valves will spring back up and not hit the pistons. Unlike my old Accord that was an interference motor and bent the valves when the belt broke. You can probly install the belt, set the timing and be OK.

Peter J Fraser

Chief Petty Officer

You can do an easy test, Turn the engine over by hand through at least one full turn. If it goes tight or stops then you will need to check further.<br />Youi will need to turn the engine to set all the timing marks anyway, just take care when doing so. Do not use the starter.<br /><br />Peter

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Your mechanic is right, no problems with the Volvo 4 cylinder engines when the belt breaks.

dslagle

Seaman Apprentice

Great Thanks Everyone! That makes me feel much better. I'm so glad we have this Forum to go to. This is the Best site on the Internet! Thanks Again! The Anita Margarita