Volvo 5.0 Vapor lock? Coil? something else?

gop711

Seaman
I have a 1995 boat with a 5.0 volvo with volvo outdrive. Was running it over the weekend, would run great at first, then after about 20 mins. it would hesitate, then loose all power and stop. After about 20 minutes, it would start up again. Any ideas on what to start with?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any and all sugestions.<br /><br />Greg

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Volvo 5.0 Vapor lock? Coil? something else?

Your title indicates that you realize the need to check for air, spark & fuel. If the boat has sat for any length of time, I would check fuel first. But you may end up checking all of it. Good luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like a plugged fuel vent. Run your boat again with the fuel cap off and see if it does it.<br />Could also be a coil that is getting hot and breaking down.<br />When it stops running, check to see if you have fuel at the carb (pump the throttle and see if it pumps fuel out the accelerator pump holes.)<br />and also check for spark.<br />At least you can narrow down rather it fuel related or spark related and go from there.<br />Have you done any basic "Get the boat ready for the season stuff" <br />New fuel filters, tuneup etc?

gop711

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. I just got the boat and the dealer says he replaced the filters. I have ran the boat for about a month with no problems.<br /><br />Thanks again<br />Greg