Volvo 4.3 running hot

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did a water test on a glastron 175 boat w/ a 4.3 volvo and everything went fine except the temperature sensor went to 250 degrees and stayed there at 40-45mph. at 30mph it was also up near there, probably 230 or 240.<br /><br />This is a big problem, no? Could it be a faulty gauge as I ran it at 40mph for about 10-15mins and it seemed like everything was okay except indicated it was running hot. The owner put the engine cover up and checked inside to see if it was clogged, but said it was fine (not really sure what he checked). Recomendations? Suggestions?

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Volvo 4.3 running hot

Thanks for the quick reply. I read the post, but Id like to summarize it so you know if I understood or not:<br /><br />It could be the waterpump driveshaft or the coupler that drives it. If its the driveshaft, not too big of a deal. If its the coupler, will require 8 hours labor to fix (expensive!).<br /><br />Is this correct? Is there a way I can verify this is the problem myself while the boat is on the trailer? Any estimates as to how much it would cost to get the driveshaft or coupler fixed/replaced?

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that correct? The reason Im asking is because this is a boat I went to look at to buy.<br /><br />Thanks again!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Driveshaft???? Coupler????? <br />I was refering to the high overheat for a long time.

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I obviously dont know what Im talking about ;) Okay, the driveshaft and coupler were indicated as a problem in the other post because the propeller would not spin. Not at all related to my problem. I understand that now.<br /><br />My problem was overheating. You are suggesting that if it was at such a high temperature for so long, it is likely the engine could have suffered damage? How can I find out what the problem is and how costly it will be? Any suggestions on diagnoising that? Thanks so much for all of your replies Don!

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After reading some other posts, it appears possibly that the risers could possibly be the cause of the problem. Is this correct?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Risers, manifolds, raw water pump impellers, thermostats, leaky hoses, corroded drive connections, hard to say for sure. What year and model engine/drive is it?

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

its a 1997 glastron 175SE with a 1998 190 hp 4.3GL Cobra SX Volvo Penta I/O. Owner said it originally had a 3.0 in it, but they wanted a bigger engine so it was replaced by the factory before the boat was put in the water. Dont know how legit that is, but thats what he says. I dont know anything about the drive... I can find out if it would be helpful.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My advice would be not to buy a boat with a problem without getting a professional to establish what is wrong and cost it for you. There are plenty of good boats to buy, so dont start of with one thats not working.

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Randyo, This boat has problems. Is the price of the boat below market value ? From your post it sounds like you don't do your own work, so I have to say that some of what could be wrong, could very well cost over $2,000.00 to fix. By the way, that is if the boat hasn't been run at these temps all the time. If the boat is at a rock bottom price, and you realize that part of your summer may be spent without your new boat.....you might want to give it a second look (with a tech). On the other hand, any owner of a boat that allowed you to continue the sea trial while the temp guage was at 250....is not the kind of person I would buy a boat from.

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much for all of the replies. The boat is a 1997 glastron 175se w/ 4.3 190hp engine. nadaguide says 8800low to 9800avg and we had a price of 9200 worked out before the seatrial. The boat is very nice and clean, but obviously has some problems.<br /><br />If it were taken to a mechanic and the problem were fixed, could the mechanic determine whether any permanent damage had been done by the high temperatures? Or is it possible that the damage could go undetected and show up later?

tommays

Admiral

its hard for me to believe that it really got up to 250 deg and did not suffer some type of head gasket problem <br /><br />tommays

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Techs are not fortune tellers. If this was an isolated instance and it was shut down quickly, there may not be any hidden down the road problems. If it was operated at these temps more than once or for several minutes, there could be several items that may work now that will fail later. The important thing is to get a hands-on professional opinion before proceeding with this purchase.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Randyo,<br /><br />The problem with things like this is you will never really know unless you strip the thing and look or dont and it breaks when you own it. Why buy a boat with an existing problem. If the guys willing to drop the price he clearly wants rid of it. <br /><br />I spent $800 with Mercury main dealers trying to fix a problem. In the end stripped it right down and found scored bores and pistons from running overtemp. Now having it bored out and oversized pistons put in at yet more expense.<br /><br />Good luck<br /><br />Chris

randyo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the info guys. Seems to me that unless he gets these issues fixed *and* drops the price, after having a mechanic look at it and give me the thumbs up I *may* consider purchasing it.<br /><br />I definitely will not purchase in as is condition at the current price we have set. Lots of good replies-- thanks again!