Volvo penta engine questions

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Volvo penta engine questions

Separate exhaust, no exhaust exit provision in the drive at all, very interesting configuration. Got any pics from different angles? Any engine pics? I am having trouble making that look like a Volvo drive! Chrysler/Dana maybe?

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Separate exhaust, no exhaust exit provision in the drive at all, very interesting configuration. Got any pics from different angles? Any engine pics? I am having trouble making that look like a Volvo drive! Chrysler/Dana maybe?

First off cool boat!
The drive is an antique Volvo (Model 100?). You can see the faded Volvo symbol on the upper gear case (looks like a male symbol ♂).

Yes you need to replace the impeller. Impellers usually are toasty after only a few seconds of running the engine without water. No telling how many times the previous owner started it with out water or how recently the impeller was replaced (impellers are maintenance items that need to be replaced every 2-3 years). Fairly easy job to do. The impeller is located inside the raw water pump on the front of the engine.

Water inlets should be (I may be wrong) to-wards the back side of the drive right above the torpedo shaped part of the lower unit (should look like grates). The muff's slip over these ports like ear muffs and push water into the drive.

If you do run this again, make sure that; A/ You have a set of muffs on the drive supplying water to it. B/ The drive is in the down position (a drive that is tilted up will put excessive force on the Ujoints while the engine is running).

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Since you were asking about the engine, perhaps a picture of it would help.

Here is a picture of the AQ115 with the AQ100 outdrive showing the exhaust system you have in your picture.
It is also a B20 engine.
Here is the service manuals for that engine and outdrive
Engine http://www.4shared.com/file/59747156/6c065c44/AQ130_thru_170_Serv_Man.html
Drive http://www.4shared.com/file/130263648/f3167971/100_Drive.html

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 0

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Looks like I was wrong on the location of the water inlets (per the pic/manual Don posted) :redface:.

Looks like the water inlet may be part of the exhaust outlet???

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

Il get more pictures of the drive and engine :) So does this mean muffs are no good as il not get them on ?

Maclin

Admiral

Sorry guys, didn't mean to get in the way like that :redface:. BTW--That raw water intake seems to be much simpler and less prone to air leaks along the way to the raw water pump for sure. Less fun for the boat manufacturer maybe, more holes to put in. I am sure that had something to do with moving that plumbing into the drive in later versions.

Must be an adapter of somekind available to hook water right into it. Probably can't pick one up at WalMart though :cool:

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

Maclin said >>> Sorry guys, didn't mean to get in the way like that >>> Dont be silly m8 every bit of help is well appreciated im new to my own boat as my dad did everything for his boats so i didnt need to worry about enything sadly he has gone now so every bit of advice and help is welcome thamks for trying to help :)

Can someone tell me what the wee bit on the side of a boat is called that the water comes out when the bilge pump is on i need a new one cause the new pump i got is for a hose 28mm and the one on the boat is 19mm i could buy a pipe reducer but id rather renew it all to the correct size ?

Last edited:

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

Got two new impellers from ebay but the one in the sea water pump looks new is there a way i can run the boat out the water as in take the water intake off the exhaust elbow and connect a garden water hose to it ? Would that be ok or would the presure be to much or to little ? done a bit of work to it and need to see if it still runs ok :)

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

?1.54 on that link and ?4.49 + ?1.99 postage on ebay what a difference and i thought ebay was the best place to buy stuff lol :(

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

What is the best paint to use on the hull of a fiberglass speed boat that will not be moored in the water ? I have used 2K paint on the rest of it ! :)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What is the best paint to use on the hull of a fiberglass speed boat that will not be moored in the water ? I have used 2K paint on the rest of it ! :)

That is a question you should be posting in the Boat Restoration, Building, and Hull Repair forum, that's where they do that kind of things, we do engines and drives only in this forum.

http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have a friend that had an outdrive jut like that. There is no impeller in the drive. It's easy to start out of the water. Just take a hose and attach it to the intake side of the water pump on the engine, turn the water on and fiore it up.

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

It is the AQ115 with the AQ100 outdrive iv got great wee engine it does about 45 pmh on the water iv done lots to this wee boat now here is pictures for you guys to see thank you again :)

South Lanarkshire-20130407-00231.jpgSouth Lanarkshire-20130407-00232.jpgSouth Lanarkshire-20130407-00233.jpgSouth Lanarkshire-20130407-00234.jpgSouth Lanarkshire-20130407-00235.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Looking good! One thing that stands out to me,on the bow,you can move the bowstop up above the winch cable or lower the winch.by doing so the cable will pull down on to the stop,not needing them straps on the handrail. Then add a safety chain from the trailer to the bow eye.
Check out a few other boats and you'll see what I am saying.hope I explained it right.....
Grub

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Very nice, thanks for the update since Aug 2011. Pity about the weather in Scotland you don't get too good days to use it ;-)

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

nice boat !

make in any case sure your housing of the water inlet is in good shape. a buddy in our marina had a boat with a b20 and your drive , the water inlet housing blew underway and he as a consequence SUNK his boat, fortunatly we were able to tow him so it finally sunk at the marina harbour , not outside. scary but true on this configuration.

the nice part : after salvage , remowing water from cylinders and an oil change the engine fired up straight away !

the good part was :

FIREBALLMCNAILZ

Seaman Apprentice

The orange straps are only an added safety I will defo sort out the bow stop thanks for advice grub
dypcdiver iv moved house didn't have internet and a few other things in the past wee while :(
Cheers aerobat ill check that out m8 something I didn't think of checking
All in all iv enjoyed my wee project looks much better than it did when I got it (pictures at at start of thread) And iv had lots of fun with the wee boat so its all been worth it , Now its just a waiting game for the good weather to come back if :)